Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Lower Control Arm Replacement/T-Bar Tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default Lower Control Arm Replacement/T-Bar Tool

The driver's side lower control arm on my 2000 Jimmy needs replacing. I know in order to remove the torsion bars you need to have a special tool. In the Haynes manual, they use a puller to accomplish this instead of the special tool. Has anyone used this method before? I'll also be replacing a bad CV axle on the same side. If anyone can advise on the T-bar tool and if they have any tips on this job, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I used a 2 jaw puller, it works fine

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Alright, that's good to know. Would something like this work?: Amazon.com: Danaher Tool Group 3552 6'' 2-Jaw Gear Puller: Home Improvement
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by porkfriedrice; 02-25-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
VortechChevyRider is on a distinguished road

Im new to this forum stuff, when replacing the lower control arm would be a great time to change cv axle also. With the spindle free at the bottom control arm you should be able to take the axle nut off so when the control arm is free you can seperate the constant velocity axle. Is the torsion bar referred to also as a sway bar? If so I.would advise buying a new link their relatively cheap I paid about fifteen bucks. Also look on ebay for a control arm unit with balljoint for about maybe less than eighty bucks. I also rented from autozone a balljoint or tierod end fork. Im not sure if this helpful. Pretty simple job

Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I broke a jaw puller trying to do mine. apparently those bars are under alotta weight. Ive heard by a few people ball joint press works good. C-clamps tend to bend.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Park is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by VortechChevyRider
Is the torsion bar referred to also as a sway bar?
No. The torsion bars have more to do with keeping the front ride height up and the sway bars fight body roll when turning. The T-bars run parallel to the frame and the sway bars run parallel to the axles.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I purchaced a 3 piece 2 jaw puller set from harbour frieght that did the job with out and problems, the set comes with a small, medium and large 2 jaw pullers.... it was only like $15.00 bucks

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
I purchaced a 3 piece 2 jaw puller set from harbour frieght that did the job with out and problems, the set comes with a small, medium and large 2 jaw pullers.... it was only like $15.00 bucks
3 Piece Two-Jaw Puller Set

Something like that? I'm a little nervous to get it from HF, since it looks like all their pullers got terrible reviews. The puller from Amazon I linked to earlier was a 6". Is that big enough to do this job?

For those of you that said you've done this before, anything that I should know before starting this project? Any trick that made the job easier? I can't seem to find a how to article on this site. Thank you all for the help.

Last edited by porkfriedrice; 02-25-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM
VortechChevyRider is on a distinguished road

If you sign up to autozone website they let you see all the repair info, including special tools needed, special procedures, and you can see how much it will be to rent a jaw puller and when done With the rental tool you get your money back. No need to buy a tool that you may never need, with the money you save you can put into the parts for your vehiclr.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

porkfriedrice, thats the one from HF, as far as tips and such, soak both points of the torsion bar real good with a rust breaker (PB Blaster etc)
and you will need a heavy hammer and a long rod to pound on to loosen the t-bar, the seem to get stuck with rust build up, its a simple but somewhat involving prosedure. (spelling sucks i know)
Robert

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Replacement/T-Bar Tool