Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Lowered with ZR2 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 12:32 AM
1duffman is on a distinguished road
Default Lowered with ZR2 suspension?

So I have searched and have a hard time finding things about actual length. I read different things that say the ZR2 front control arms are longer the regular 4x4 arms. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have a measured length comparison? I want to go wide and low. Like 2+ inches lower, and as wide as I possibly can get without wheel spacers. As I've read the ZR2 rear end is the widest. I'm just wondering how to get the front to match, widthwise. Can I get ZR2 uppers and lowers and swap them in with some alignment tweaks? CVs and sway bar seem like they would need to be ZR2 also... sorry about all the questions but nothing I've found answers any of this. Everyone want to use the control arms to get more lift. When I'm just tryin to fit some wide *** wheels on it and be able to actually take corners. Any input will definitely be well appreciated.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:24 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

I would say to google it for the information. I believe that the lowers are longer, I'm not sure about the uppers but I would think they are also. Usually the rears of a truck are about two inches narrower than the front track, something else to think about. Google GMupfitter.com. There are dimensions of the different types of "S" vehicles in it. Your answer may be there. There may also be some info on S10.com. I think I've seen a thread or two on this subject there.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:43 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to 'Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain'*

Old 12-25-2019, 10:29 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

You know, now that I think about it more I believe the control arms are the same. The frame is wider on a ZR2 but I think the control arms are the same. I also think that the control arms are mounted to different points on the frame to raise it's height.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

I'm 99% sure the control arms are exactly the same. As eshaw mentioned, the width difference in the front is made up with the mounting points being farther out on the frame, and also lower so the ZR2 sits up higher.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:22 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I'm 99% sure the control arms are exactly the same. As eshaw mentioned, the width difference in the front is made up with the mounting points being farther out on the frame, and also lower so the ZR2 sits up higher.
/\
This.

The control arms are the same length and geometry between the ZR2 and the non-ZR2. The ZR2 axle is just over 3" wider than the non-Z 4x4 axle, so that would work for the rear for you. To add width to the front you'll need to either add spacers, or use different offset rims.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:02 PM
1duffman is on a distinguished road

Thank you I will be using all the information everyone gives me for my project. I very much appreciate the input.