Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

LSD/axle/rear end questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 AM
Beginning Member
goldnugget is on a distinguished road
Default LSD/axle/rear end questions

I have a 2000 4x4 S10 Blazer. I want to install a G80 diff. This is my first open diff rear drive vehicle and it is disappointing to say the least. It takes the fun out of off roading and winter driving. Even in light snow I need to put it in 4wd. There seems to be a lot of numbers - rear end 7.5, 7.6, 7.625, 8.5 - axle 26, 28, 30 spline. Anyway...

Can I figure this out and get the parts I need without taking stuff apart? I'd like to install it in an afternoon or eliminate as much downtime as possible so I don't have to use my car in the salt.

What is the rear axle spline count?

What G80 unit will swap into my rear end?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

7.5 7.6 7.625 are all the same, 8.5 are from a zr2. My guess is you have a 10 bolt 7.625 28 spline rearend. The cheapest way for you to do it is to get a complete rear axle that is gear the same and has a g80 already as the one you have and just swap it.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I agree with Newguy. It would probably be a lot simpler to just find an axle with the G80 already in it. If you find one with the same gear ratio as your front then you just need to swap the rear axle, or if you want different gears then swapping the front diff will be necessary as well. It's not a terribly complicated job, but the space is really tight so it's a pain to do. I did the rear axle by myself in about 2 hours. The front diff took me a full day because I couldn't get it to drop out past everthing else in the way.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member
goldnugget is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input.

Yard has a 3.42 w/G80. Asking $350.

Kicking myself for not taking ZR2 fr/r diffs w/3.73/G80 this summer for $350.

What about just picking up a used diff for $200 and swapping bearings/ring and setting backlash? I've not installed a diff before. Wouldn't mind tearing into it if its not gonna keep me down for more than a day. Although after buying shims and a dial indicator I'll end up close to the same price...

Old 11-25-2014, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

ITs a tricky job setting it up correctly. Suppose if you did your research

Old 11-30-2014, 05:32 PM
GTTK is on a distinguished road

I did a bit of research the last few days when I found that my Blazer has an open rear diff (it was an impulse buy with 0 previous research...). I read about all the affordable aftermarket options and G80 seems to be the best option for a daily driver that just needs to deal with snow every now and then and no serous offroading. However it seems that most high-mileage G80s get worn out or broken. So I think you should be careful what you're buying.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:54 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Depending on your skill-set swapping the whole axle may be easier than changing out the carrier as mentioned above.

That being said if it were me and i wanted Limited slip in the stock axle Id skip the gov-bomb all together and find a torsen LS carrier from a F-body 7.5 ten bolt... measure the backlash before you take it apart, swap the ring gear onto the new carrier and all you have to worry about is resetting backlash, and maintaining good carrier bearing pre-load... Might be a good idea to run the pattern before/after too just for reference.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:07 PM
GTTK is on a distinguished road

Torsen is not the best option for snow, if one wheel has 0 traction it doesn't work.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:52 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

you're right... It also doesn't do this when one tire has 0 traction and it engages the other tire with traction...

Attached Thumbnails LSD/axle/rear end questions-7022c00c_zpsce302ecd.jpg  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Sorry I'm late. I blew up my pinion gear, picked up a new axle, had it sand blasted, painted, then new bearings and seals.

Quick Reply: LSD/axle/rear end questions