Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Manually engage 4x4 system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Starting Member
Justin Bottoms is on a distinguished road
Default Manually engage 4x4 system?

Is it able to engage the 4x4 system manually on a 99 by pulling the actuator cable under the battery tray locking half the front driveshaft "assuming your Tcase works and 3 buttons work" then going in the vehicle and hit the 4 HI button locking the other half of the driveshaft then once you hit 2Hi again it would be in 4X2 until you release the front axle by releasing the cable? I have no vacuum going to the actuator as I'm aware i have a vacuum problem because my hear controls are all the same, my Tcase switch is not stuck but I was wondering if one would be able to manually engage the 4x4 by pulling that cable if you remove the actuator itself from the housing and grab on the it removing the boot on the cable. Thank you

Old 01-02-2018, 01:49 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Justin Bottoms
Is it able to engage the 4x4 system manually on a 99 by pulling the actuator cable under the battery tray locking half the front driveshaft "assuming your Tcase works and 3 buttons work" then going in the vehicle and hit the 4 HI button locking the other half of the driveshaft then once you hit 2Hi again it would be in 4X2 until you release the front axle by releasing the cable? I have no vacuum going to the actuator as I'm aware i have a vacuum problem because my hear controls are all the same, my Tcase switch is not stuck but I was wondering if one would be able to manually engage the 4x4 by pulling that cable if you remove the actuator itself from the housing and grab on the it removing the boot on the cable. Thank you
If your heater controls are not working, probably the hose has been pulled off the vacuum canister inside the very rear of the drivers side fender. Easy fix, but difficult to see where the hose goes.

The answer to your specific question is yes, but I certainly wouldn't do it that way.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-02-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
If your heater controls are not working, probably the hose has been pulled off the vacuum canister inside the very rear of the drivers side fender. Easy fix, but difficult to see where the hose goes.

The answer to your specific question is yes, but I certainly wouldn't do it that way.

my heater controls are working just don't work specifically like defrost then to floor they work all together so I know there's a vacuum issue, but im trying to just bypass the whole system completly, wasnt sure if i was able to lock it in 4x4 that way or not.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Posi lok is a company that makes cable operated 4x4 engagement systems that bypasses the vacuum section. However I agree with Lesmyer that fixing your vacuum problem is the way to go due to the other issues it creates.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Justin Bottoms
my heater controls are working just don't work specifically like defrost then to floor they work all together so I know there's a vacuum issue, but im trying to just bypass the whole system completly, wasnt sure if i was able to lock it in 4x4 that way or not.
I've heard of people purposely making the mod to do a manual engagement but if you are considering that as a work-around and not because of some other "positive" reason, then it I would suggest it is well worth your effort to replace all the under-hood vacuum hoses first. It is easy and cheap to do. Besides, even if you go ahead with the manual engagement, you will be glad to have the HVAC working.

This is a thread I started to post the hoses I used when I replaced them on my truck. It also includes a couple thoughts on how to secure the hoses.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...replace-95425/

BTW A typical symptom of a leaky vacuum system is the HVAC system air delivery not working properly as it is the doors that direct the air that are vacuum actuated. The temperature is controlled electronically.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I found myself curious about the Posi-Lok product and found this warning on their website:

Source: http://4x4posi-lok.com/images/genuine-vs-knockoff.jpg

Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM

I figured most who looked into it decided to make their own out of a choke cable. I considered it and a long handle 5/8" wrench sticking through the floor that's been welded to the selector shaft on the T case. I sobered up and bit the bullet, or my pillow, and bought a TCCM and encoder with lifetime warranties from Oreilly.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I've heard of people purposely making the mod to do a manual engagement but if you are considering that as a work-around and not because of some other "positive" reason, then it I would suggest it is well worth your effort to replace all the under-hood vacuum hoses first. It is easy and cheap to do. Besides, even if you go ahead with the manual engagement, you will be glad to have the HVAC working.

This is a thread I started to post the hoses I used when I replaced them on my truck. It also includes a couple thoughts on how to secure the hoses.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...replace-95425/

BTW A typical symptom of a leaky vacuum system is the HVAC system air delivery not working properly as it is the doors that direct the air that are vacuum actuated. The temperature is controlled electronically.

I'm definitely going to replace the hoses in the future im only looking for a workaround as I'm in upstate New York and just want a quick fix to get down the road. Now if my heater is at least working does that mean my vacuum system is at least getting vacuum and just not routed to my actuator correctly ? I appreciate it very much

Old 01-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Christine_208 is right. Remove the battery tray and investigate the system. The actuator diaphragm could be leaking, stuck cable, or no vacuum. My point was after you get the knowledge of the system to cheat it; repairing it correctly makes more sense.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Christine_208 is right. Remove the battery tray and investigate the system. The actuator diaphragm could be leaking, stuck cable, or no vacuum. My point was after you get the knowledge of the system to cheat it; repairing it correctly makes more sense.
I pretty much understand the whole system from when you hit the button on dash till the actuator being pulled from vacuum but I have none at all at the actuator and figured my hoses were messed up yet my heater still works but only as one setting all together so I was wondering if i was still getting vacuum just not to the actuator

Quick Reply: Manually engage 4x4 system?