Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Mechanic says "front end needs to be replaced"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 AM
oakback is on a distinguished road
Default Mechanic says "front end needs to be replaced"

My friend has a '99 Blazer 4x4. He took it in for an oil change and to have a couple noises checked out, and his mechanic (who he's used before, and trusts) says the front end needs to be replaced. He says it's rusted, and isn't in danger of falling apart anytime soon, but will eventually need to have all the parts replaced.

I'm a die-hard DIY'er, and always work on my own cars, but don't have much experience with his Blazer. Help me to show it can be done for much cheaper, the mechanic quoted him ~$1,600 in parts alone. Even if he decides to go with the mechanic anyways, I don't mind, I just really like to see if it could be done much cheaper with internet-ordered parts and doing the install at home.

What's a good place to buy parts, if we do indeed replace the "front end"? (assume the diagnosis is correct)

Old 11-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To start with, beware of mechanics stating generic replacement is necessary. If they suspect parts are in need of replacement, they should be able to state specific items that are in need of replacement. I would ask for an itemized cost breakdown of the repair work they are recommending. Any mechanic that actually values their customer will do this.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

I don't know what exactly the mechanic says that have to be replaced but I bought upper control arm bushings, tie rods(inner and outer), ball joints ( upper and lower ), pitman and idler arm for 150.00 and a friend of mine that work as a mechanic at my job changed everything for 300.00 and 69.00 for alignment afterwards, maybe he is better off shopping around

Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gojorg
I don't know what exactly the mechanic says that have to be replaced but I bought upper control arm bushings, tie rods(inner and outer), ball joints ( upper and lower ), pitman and idler arm for 150.00 and a friend of mine that work as a mechanic at my job changed everything for 300.00 and 69.00 for alignment afterwards, maybe he is better off shopping around

now that sounds decent

thats without labor right ? or with

Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
now that sounds decent

From the looks of it, that would be $150 for the parts, $300 for the labor, and $69 for the alignment; $619 out the door. Kinda straight forward.

In terms of what the OP needs, I still think the mechanic was dangerously 'generic' with their statement of what needs replacing & the cost involved. Seems like A LOT unless he actually is replacing the control arms, and pretty much everything else in the front suspension. A lot of which probably doesn't really need to be replaced if the mechanic wants to do the work properly and not just charge the owner for new components to make the job "easier" (like control arms, etc that might just be a little "rusty").

Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 PM

He has an itemized list, I just haven't had the chance to look at it yet. We'll be talking about it in more detail later today when he comes over. I just wanted to get the jump on research so I had some part prices and such to show him. Hence the "assume the diagnosis is correct" (when I'm sure it's not quite).

I'll also be putting it up on ramps and getting underneath to check out anything obviously bad, what should I look for besides bad rust and torn boots, anything specific?

The noise he originally wanted checked out was a bad squeak when the front suspension compressed. It was easy to duplicate, just pressing on the hood/fender, and with my head under it the sound sounding like it was emanating from the center area, not near the wheels.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I rebuilt my front end a coupuple of years ago using high quality parts and the parts alone were about $500. I'd be a bit leary of complete front end parts that only cost $150. My parts included the UCA/LCA ball joints and bushings, inner/outer tie rods, pitman and idler arms. I also replaced the hubs/bearings at about $150 each.

Most times, not always mind you, you truly get what you pay for when it comes to auto parts.

That being said, depending on the shop and quality of work, $1000 in labor is not that unreasonable. It is a bit of of job to replace all of these parts, more so if your friend has a 4X4.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 PM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
now that sounds decent

he charged me 300 for labor and it was around 150 for parts and like I mentioned before I know it more usually for labor but he is a friend and coworker that did it in his driveway after work on his free time

Originally Posted by AJBert
I rebuilt my front end a coupuple of years ago using high quality parts and the parts alone were about $500. I'd be a bit leary of complete front end parts that only cost $150. My parts included the UCA/LCA ball joints and bushings, inner/outer tie rods, pitman and idler arms. I also replaced the hubs/bearings at about $150 each.

Most times, not always mind you, you truly get what you pay for when it comes to auto parts.

That being said, depending on the shop and quality of work, $1000 in labor is not that unreasonable. It is a bit of of job to replace all of these parts, more so if your friend has a 4X4.
I bought them because the part store is giving lifetime warranty on them, I'm happy is they last until I trade the truck or do an sas on it

Last edited by gojorg; 11-25-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Ok, finally got the estimate:

Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Pay me $2000 and I'll do the job for you in a heartbeat!

Get a few more estimates from other shops. That is a rediculous price for what is being done.

Quick Reply: Mechanic says "front end needs to be replaced"