Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

My SAS parts list

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

Those look pretty sweet. But, I think I read somewhere I need springs that are 51 or 52 inches from mounting hole to mounting hole. My rear shackles on the front leafs are almost pointing forward. They should be straight up and down or leaning toward the rear of my truck, right?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Starting Member

Went out and snapped a few pics of the suspension on my Blazer. Let me know if the things in the pics look right or? If you need more/better pics I can take them tomorrow since it's dark here.

Sorry for the blurry pics, it's dark and freezing outside. But, as I said, if anyone needs/wants more pics to help me with this, let me know. I'd really like to get this going.

Attached Thumbnails My SAS parts list-imag0119.jpg   My SAS parts list-imag0118.jpg   My SAS parts list-imag0117.jpg   My SAS parts list-imag0120.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

the only real issue i can see is the drag link clearance to the leaf spring, and the downward angle of it. it looks like it may get close to the spring as the suspension compresses. probable has a bit of bump steer right now? the shackles forward will limit down travel of the axle. its hard to tell by the pics what your kingpin angle is, but one of the pics makes it look like you may have positive caster(bad). a better pic like your third one above focusing on the knuckle would be good.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, the drag link hits the passenger side leaf springs when I turn to the left. And I'll get better pics of the knuckles tomorrow when it's light out. So, other than limiting the travel on my axle, the short leaf springs won't affect anything else?

The leaf spring and steering issue are my 2 biggest concerns at the moment, well, that and the caster. The way the steering knuckle on the passenger side is makes it tough to get any clearance on that side. The hardware on the drag link/tie rod hit the rim if I go any higher to free up some clearance on the leaf springs... ugh! This is a pain. I haven't really driven it in about a month.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't worry about the springs yet. It will drive fine the way they are.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Starting Member

OK, then I'll address the steering and caster. I think the camber is OK. Last time I measured the rear of the front tires was 62 1/8 inches and the front of the front tires was 62 inches

Old 12-11-2012, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Diaita
the only real issue i can see is the drag link clearance to the leaf spring, and the downward angle of it. it looks like it may get close to the spring as the suspension compresses. probable has a bit of bump steer right now? the shackles forward will limit down travel of the axle. its hard to tell by the pics what your kingpin angle is, but one of the pics makes it look like you may have positive caster(bad). a better pic like your third one above focusing on the knuckle would be good.
i was kinda wondering about the bumpsteer myself. i had a k5 blazer with crossover steering a few years back with the angle about the same and surprisingly i never ran into any issues, but a lifted k5s suspension barely moves. only a test drive will know for sure

i also put my shackles in the front so i could get the angle of the pinion into the factory position of the axle so i wouldnt be fighting downward when it turned.

yeah post up clearer pictures when you get a chance, i love looking at other peoples builds and would love to do another one in the future

Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Starting Member

I'll try to get some tomorrow. Got busy with family stuff today and by the time I got that all squared away, it started snowing. Boo snow!