Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

NE1 use MITYVAC to bleed brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM
soundguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NE1 use MITYVAC to bleed brakes?

Hope brake topics are ok here. Had a wierd thing happen while bleeding with my MITYVAC. I made a setup with a 1L hard plastic camping style water bottle with hoses going in and out to pull brake fluid into - worked great! BUT when I pulled some good vacuum on the bleeder screws, TONS of air came out, for as long as I pulled a vacuum. I freaked out thinking I had a busted line somewhere, since my fluid in my master cylider was not going down that much.

So, to rule this out I closed all the bleeders and pumped the pedal many times and it firmed up a little (never driven the truck before, so I didnt have a reference as to was "firm" was) No leaks anywhere. Did it again, no leaks anywhere.

My conclusion was that the strong vacuum from the MITYVAC was actually pulling air from around the threads of the bleeder screw and into the stream of brake fluid coming out of the screw making me think there was a ton of air in my system or a brokenline/leaking fitting.

Since driving the truck it stops great! Any one else have this happen? - Mike

Old 09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: NE1 use MITYVAC to bleed brakes?

Yup, you had a vacuum leak either around the threads on the bleeder or on the actual coupling to the bleeder. I have a little hand operated vacuum pump for bleeding brakes and I have finally had enough of it and glued all of the connections together, using the smallest fitting on the end. Then I take the bleeders right out and coat the threads with caliper grease and screw them back in. Haven't had any more leak troubles since.

But that definitely sounds like what you experienced.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
soundguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Air was def. comingout through the middle of the bleeder, so I will try the caliper grease on the bleeder threads next time. Thanks for the tip! - Mike

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That's a nice way to bleed the brakes by yourself! [:-]

I just usually have someone press the pedal and loosen/tighten the bleeder screws as needed, lol.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's what I do when I have helping hands (and feet). Sometimes it doesn't work out that way so I have to take different approaches.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Beer is a great motivator to get people to help in the garage! lol.

But yeah, I know what'cha mean... Probably better using the vacuum thing than moving the seat all the way up and using the a chunk of pipe to hold the pedal down...