Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need help with front diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 PM
CodyOrtegren is on a distinguished road

99 s10 zr2 blazer and im have some problems with the front diff making a growling and slapping noise. The 4 wheel drive works and engages i think it just makes noise. It has a new vacuum actuator. The nosie only happen when it is in 4 wheel drive and decelerating it wont do it if i keep the same speed or speed up. I have an axial seal leaking on the passenger side i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. The diff fluid if full and clear but i havnt changed it yet. I was told the ring gear might be missing a tooth and i would like to make sure its that before i tear it apart and pay ALOT for a ring gear. If some one could help that would be awesome or link me to a thread that will help. Thanks

o and it has a 3 button switch if that helps anything. i was wonding if the zr2 have 373 gears in the front diff??

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-30-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

The front diffy is making a growling noise? I would check your front differential bearing first. But that is just a hunch. Hopefully other people will come in here and comment so we can have a consensus.

And I'm thinking as for your other question that the 8.5(zr2) axle came standard with the 3.73's

Last edited by tibby; 12-29-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 PM
CodyOrtegren is on a distinguished road

ok thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CodyOrtegren
i was wonding if the zr2 have 373 gears in the front diff??
Stock yes.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

When is the last time the front gear lube was checked?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member
p_m_clean is on a distinguished road

not exactly sure what it is but i would start by jacking it up and checking your cv axles and also check to see how much play there is on the shafts that go into the front diff. If they move up and down a bunch your bearings are probably shot but there may be other issues as well

I also have a question. I have a lot of play in my shafts and know my bearings are shot. I have found kits that come with the bearings for around 150 I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these diffs I dont want to put money into it if they tend to need a full rebuild. I am at 165k 4x4 is in good working shape and i plan to use the car as my daily and use 4x4 as needed if snow and I will also probably do a little light wheeling a few times a year, any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member
p_m_clean is on a distinguished road

not exactly sure what it is but i would start by jacking it up and checking your cv axles and also check to see how much play there is on the shafts that go into the front diff. If they move up and down a bunch your bearings are probably shot but there may be other issues as well

I also have a question. I have a lot of play in my shafts and know my bearings are shot. I have found kits that come with the bearings for around 150 I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these diffs I dont want to put money into it if they tend to need a full rebuild. I am at 165k 4x4 is in good working shape and i plan to use the car as my daily and use 4x4 as needed if snow and I will also probably do a little light wheeling a few times a year, any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
Droidster is on a distinguished road

stop using 42d before you do any more damage

take it to a shop and just pay for diagnostics then make your decision.

the thrust washers in the middle shaft tube are a weak part and break causing the small gear to wear (i just replaced mine ($210 in Canada no aftermarket so dealer)

i suggest you remove the middle tube first and inspect these parts

to remove the front diff you have to remove everything, axles, ball joints,steering knuckles 7hr book time and you need more tools then just a socket set.

not a recommended home repair job unless you have a great garage and lots of time.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I've removed them in junkyards with hand tools in under 7 hours, more like a lil over a hour just to remove. Its really not that hard of a job. All of that doesn't have to be removed to drop the front diff, sounds like somebody seen you coming and done extra to charge extra.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
Droidster is on a distinguished road

no i did it myself, that was just what a garage quoted me.

i had to drill out the ball joints which took most of the time.

without a hoist it it challenging

Quick Reply: Need help with front diff