Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need help undriveable situation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member
cleaveley is on a distinguished road
Post Need help undriveable situation

Hello, folks.

I have a 2002, 4.3L, 2dr, 4WD blazer.

Recently my wheel bearing went out of the truck, & so did the idler arm, It made it really difficult to drive.. it was drivable but required all attention.

I had changed the idler arm and the wheel bearing which was clearly BAD (I have pics) by myself. after that it seemed a bit better on the road but the wheel was still **** eyed and it pulled a lot.

The next thing I did was took it in for an alignment, (they gave me the paper work to prove that the tires were all in the 'green zone') I went to leave the shop with the truck and I got going down the road to about 40km/h and the wheel felt like it 'kinked' and it threw me right sideways into the ditch - because I was not expecting the thing to act up AT ALL right after an allignment. So after a few hundered sunk into a tow truck to get it home and ripping my bumber off, I'm stuck with a truck that I can't drive.

I checked under the truck as soon as I got it home, the tie rod ends and joints are all tight and fine, all the ball joints are good and wheel bearings are fine.. I have a slight hunch that MAYBE the arm that comes off the steering box is bad but I'm not sure as I can't get a bar into it to see if there is play. The only other thing I can think to be bad in my blazer is the upper/lower control arm bushings.. However it's hard to tell if they are bad or not without ripping it down. I don't really want to rip it apart if I don't have to.. However I am capable of doing so if required (I have the knowledge, tools & HEATED garage.. thank goodness for heated garages LMAO)

So anyways I did take the Blazer back out on the road after I checked under the truck for everything.. I placed it into 2wd because I wasnt too sure if the differential or something along that line was to blame.. it seems to be A LITTLE bit better but it is still undrivable.. the wheel just ripps from side to side and is literally a death trap.

I NEED ANYHELP as to what anyone thinks the problem might be...

OH & I know the extreme play IS coming from the front and not the back end.. the way the wheel goes, you can deffinetly tell.. (my dad had thought maybe the leaf spring bushings were gone but I said they couldn't be because when you went to tramp the gas you feel a jerk.. we had checked anyways and they are fine..

THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member

I should also mention the ABS light come on and off intermitently while driving it in this condition.. no engine light or code is there tho..

Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I was going to say that this sounds like you have a caliper hanging up if it's pulling tht hard and sudden. I would be looking into any and all components of your brake system for the issue.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

well I looked at the brakes and they seem fine & also they are not getting hot so I don't believe it's that.. but that makes sense with the abs, hmmm :/

Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I would clean the abs sensors you should also recheck all of your work and make sure you have everything torqued and tightened to spec. It's possible that you have a loose bolt or something. Also check your nut on the cv shaft. If it's to tight it could be causing resistance on the wheel bearings.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Beginning Member

found out what the problem was.. the front differential was NOT disengaging when I pressed the 2HI button and there was something wrong with the front diff it kept locking up one wheel and thats what was throwing me around the road.. so had to buy a used front diff from the wrecking yard (made sure the gear ratio's were the same) & A BIG job later and its back to normal again! Just thought I'd follow up for anyone else who has this problem!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

is your ABS light still on? was it on before you changed the hub? if it came on after the hub change, its probably the sensor in the new hub. some times they dont get them 100% dead on and it will kick the light on. happened to me on my work truck.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Good to see you got the issue solved and thanks for following up with what the problem was to help others in the future!