Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

need new axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need new axle

hey guys ive been gone for a while but i need some questions answered and this looks like the right section. my truck isnt a blazer either. no pics either.
first off a little background on the problem. was up in VA on post-boot camp liberty with some buddies. headed down the mountain to get some gas in town. goin into a left turn on a wide spot in the road my back right tire blew. wound up hitting a tree right on the same tire. after getting yanked back from the edge of the mountain and the truck wasnt driving right. we hoped for the best that it was just the tire and messed up body. had to report back for more training. come to find out that the back axle was bent. my buddy hauled it up to his place and the axle came apart right as he got it there.
now id really like to keep the truck but its 4xx miles from my home. considering sending a tow truck for it since i cant go up there to fix it. alternatively id like to send somebody up with a new axle to put on. cant afford a brand new axle so i need to know what kind of used axle i should buy. i just need to get it home so my folks can put it in storage till a later date.
i dont know the gear ratios or any details on the damage. its a 1985 GMC sierra 1500. long bed. stock drivetrain.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You should be able to get another axle fairly cheap from a junk yard. Tons of those axles out there. Assuming it is 2wd gearing isn't that important. If it is 4wd you need to get the same gearing. Check out the full size chevy forum and you should be able to get more details.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks.