Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need a new rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road
Default Need a new rear axle

Anyone know where i can find a new rear axle for my 1999 blazer ls with the 3.73? Blew mine up and the shop wants $1400 to rebuild it. Or is it worth haveing them do it.Any info would be greatly appreciated i need my ride back soon.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Go to a local salvage yard save your self at least a grand

Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cavalier z24
Go to a local salvage yard save your self at least a grand
Agreed, but make sure they will guarantee that it comes with the gears you need.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 AM

I did that and yeah it will save me about 800 bucks. The only thing with that is they wont gaurantee the seals or brakes. Brakes im not to worried about since i can switch mine with the ones on the salvaged axle. Anyone had trouble with the seals from an axle from a salvag yard? Hate to get it put in and then 2 months down the road have to tear it apart and do seals.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

If you go ahead and get a rear from the junkyard, it's going to be waaay easy to do a quick refresh on everything as it will be out of the vehicle. Axle seals, wheel bearings, differential cover and gasket, synthetic gear oil.

Boneyards around here wanted $3-400 for a rear. If you're getting one for $600, I'd shop around more.

Make sure you get a rear out of a 4 door though, sway bars and brake lines are a different between 4 door and 2 door.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Yep, they have the same truck there that i can get but im not really wanting to pay that much money but its the only one in town. I might have to wait to refresh everything in the axle tho cause finances are kinda tight. But atleast i can pick it up then upgrade it as i go.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Seals are real cheap, bearings aren't too terribly bad, and you can skip the diff cover if you clean up the old one and paint it. Diff cover gasket is cheap, synthetic gear oil is a little pricey but not too bad either.

How did your existing rear blow up anyway?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM

I have no idea. I put my bl and 31's on and drove it for about 4 days. Started making a little noise then it got worse as i was driving home. I thought it was my t case but i took it to the shop and they told me it was the rea end. Kinda suprised me i have 150k but i have seen them last way longer and i dont run my rig hard at all. Really pisses me off.