Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New brakes making noises / Pulling

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default New brakes making noises / Pulling

Well I don't know how to say this but I just had new brakes put in and already I am having problems. When I am moving below 20mph with the engine at idle, I hear faint scratching noises with the brakes applied or not forward or backward. Sometimes I also feel it pull to one side upon braking (but it can pull either way). I don't think I have a stuck caliper since I had all of them replaced a year and a half ago. I had new front pads and rotors put in a couple weeks ago and they seemed to do it right. They are not hot at all. The front brake temps are about equal and after an average stop, they are around 100F. Could I have something else rubbing? Thanks

Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

if your pulling when braking then one of the calipers is not working...ex
if you are pulling left then the right side is not working causing the car to want to rotate around with the force from the right side...like a hinge...the working side being the hinge point when the brakes stop the momentum on that side.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
if your pulling when braking then one of the calipers is not working...ex
if you are pulling left then the right side is not working causing the car to want to rotate around with the force from the right side...like a hinge...the working side being the hinge point when the brakes stop the momentum on that side.
Could pulling at all be related to a broken torsion bar mount like in my other thread?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

that i dont know....i would think not.
i would think that if it happens at braking then it is braking related.
at least thats where i would start looking.
ex.
constant pulling ties back to steering suspension issues.
(not a mechanic by profession though)
i am sure somebody will chime in on that one.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

nope i dont think a tbar mount would cause this

sounds like a sticky caliper .... After driving a few miles put your hand near the rim (DONT touch it ) just see if its really hot

if so the calipers might be sticking

Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Pulling can be suspension related if it's affecting castor. Like bad LCA bushes.
It will happen on initial braking then even out.
Scraping noises seem to say there's maybe a problem in the hub.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

the mounts wouldnt cause it. I didnt have that issue and both of mine was broken. Its either a caliper or a bad brake hose. The hoses rot inside out. they become like a 1 way valve after a while and cause pulling problems.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Just some more info:

Calipers are less than a year and a half old.
Hoses about the same (I had one have that issue and it cooked the front left brake until there was smoke)
Fluid replaced several times between then and now

Brake temps are around 100-120 after a stop (IR thermometer). I can touch the rotors without getting burned. They are not hot at all. Just warm and they stop well.

I don't know if it matters, but if the car sat overnight, the pedal goes down a bit lower than normal (not to floor) and then once I move it improves right away.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Just some more info:

Calipers are less than a year and a half old.
Hoses about the same (I had one have that issue and it cooked the front left brake until there was smoke, heat and almost a fire)
Fluid replaced several times between then and now

Brake temps are around 100-120 after a stop (IR thermometer). I can touch the rotors without getting burned. They are not hot at all. Just warm and they stop well.

I don't know if it matters, but if the car sat overnight, the pedal goes down a bit lower than normal (not to floor) and then once I move it improves right away.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

did you bleed the system ? sounds like air in the lines

Quick Reply: New brakes making noises / Pulling