Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New Member 85K 5 Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
TheK5 is on a distinguished road
Default New Member 85K 5 Q

New to this forum but not new to forums.

I just purchased an 85 k5. I think I got a steal on it.

So front driveshaft was in the seat needed u joints. Today I replaced all three. Had to buy new flange bolts. For the recorded 7/16x1 normal thread was the correct flange bolt size.

While wife was in driver seat and in 4wd just idle rolling the front tires will spin every rotation or so. While in truck you can hear a clunking. It will not go back into 2wd unless i go in reverse first. Also while in 2wd is the front drive shaft suppose to spin. This one does not I am assuming that is correct.

I have not checked fluid. The chunks are so covered is gunk. What are you guys using when flushing front and rear?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So the drivetrain is binding up? Have you checked to make sure that it has the same gears in the front and rear axle?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
So the drivetrain is binding up? Have you checked to make sure that it has the same gears in the front and rear axle?
I was wondering that, but drives fine in reverse 4WD. What's the easiet way to find out what ratio I have up front and outback? Is it like 3.27 rotations per whole wheel turn? 3.73/4.10 ETC.

Last edited by TheK5; 01-11-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have automatic lock-out hubs on the front axle? If so, the hubs may be unlocking when in reverse.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member

Do you have automatic lock-out hubs on the front axle? If so, the hubs may be unlocking when in reverse.

You know what. I did not even check that out. I have never owned a 4x4 I am not up to par on this stuff. Would you suggest locking them in? This is not my DD. Mainly just something for around the house. I may drive 50 miles a day or two to work. Not really worried about gas mileage.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Administrator

If they are the old auto-hubs, you can't do anything with them. They are supposed to automatically lock in when needed. Most of the time, you need to back up slightly to get them to unlock once you are out of trouble.

I would check the gear ratios front to rear to just make sure that the driveshaft wasn't sitting on the floor board because someone swapped in the wrong gear ratio in one of the axles.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

If they are the old auto-hubs, you can't do anything with them. They are supposed to automatically lock in when needed. Most of the time, you need to back up slightly to get them to unlock once you are out of trouble.

I would check the gear ratios front to rear to just make sure that the driveshaft wasn't sitting on the floor board because someone swapped in the wrong gear ratio in one of the axles.
Yea, I just read that on google lol. That explains that problem. I bought it from my mom's friend who drove it daily for 3 years. Since she purchased the drive shaft was out due to universals(that's what she was told when she bought.) AND THEY were rough. 1/4" of play.

Now that I think of it while looking for front diff drain plug... They are so gunked up i dont see how they have been changed at all... No signs of girdle being removed on front or back. That's my next step though to check into ratios.

Last edited by TheK5; 01-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator

I have to get into the diffs on my K5 to service them as well.

Let us know what you find!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

I have to get into the diffs on my K5 to service them as well.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks... working on starter problem tomorrow. Bad grind/clunk and stall just about every time I try to start.. this morning it would not start so I tried to pull starter after work... what a PITA wit LT's. 4wd put off for now lol