Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New member and need alittle help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:26 AM
1992blazerfullsize is on a distinguished road
Smile New member and need alittle help please

I bought a 92 blazer fullsize k5 they tell me it has the 8.25 front differential. and thats were my problom lies. well the accuator went out and i found a site were there making manual lock outs for this differentials. has anyone else made these. and have a link to it. also while i was at it i bought a full rebuild kit for it and going to tear it down this weekend and rebuild it. dose anyone have a break down of this front end and know were i can find it. thanks for all your help ahead of time and im glad to be a part of, it seems to be a great site with plenty of info. when i get home ill post a pick of my mud monster.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:18 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Can't help you with your question..but I thought I'd say Welcome to the forum anyway!
The K5's are taking over!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all the warm welcome and ill stick around looking for the awnser to the question. has anyone tore down this type of front end? if so any special things to look out for?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The IFS (independent front suspension) trucks do not have the capability for manual locking hubs. The front axle disconnect happens in the passenger axle tube near the differential housing.

I doubt your entire front axle needs to be rebuilt. Most likely, you just need to replace the actuator. The stock electro-magnet actuators are horrible and fail quickly. GM released a revised stepper motor actuator that positively engages the front axle every time and is much less prone to failure. I have one taken apart on my work bench at home that was in one of our farm trucks (94 K2500). It had to be replaced because it got hit with a rock and cracked the plastic housing allowing water in. I think I posted part numbers in another thread...

To go to the new actuator, you will have to wire up a new electrical connection as it did change.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Sorry for the confustion. what im needing is the break down of the whole front differential. thats what im rebuilding, you know bearings seals clips. and so on, i know about all the trobles about the accuators, im in the prosses oe building a nanual lock to replace the original. what im needing right now is really a break down of thr whole front differentail.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to save you from rebuilding the whole thing, but since that is the direction you want to go in, I will look up the exploded views when I get home. If I can find them in decent enough quality, I will post them.

Here is an article from RSGear.com --> GM IFS Front Drive Axles

Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 AM

Thanks i think that should work. no to be honest i dont want to tear into the whole thing but my problom is more than just the accuator. the c clip on the pass side must have come off or broke because my shaft on that side is sticking out. thats why i decided to tear into the whole thing, unless you know of a way to replace the c clip without pulling the whole front differential out. these types or differentials are new to me. thats why im looking for advise. so i figured sice i had it out to replace all seals and bearings while there. or is there a easier way can i replace all that while still in the blazer. thanks again for all your help.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 AM

By looking at the pdf break down can this be tore down while in the blazer or should i remove the whole differential.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Administrator

You will have to remove the axle completely. The case splits side to side.

Quick Reply: New member and need alittle help please