Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

New TCCM, now no 4x4 button lights work. HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM
nicholsm is on a distinguished road
Default New TCCM, now no 4x4 button lights work. HELP please

Here's the update. To start, it was a mechanic who said the reason the 4wheel drive didn't work was the encoder motor. When you would press any of the buttons you could hear it wanting to engage, the light of the button you pressed would flash, but then nothing. So I replaced the motor last night and got the drive shaft put back in (thank you to those who helped). Now NONE of the buttons do anything. When you press a button you don't even hear it try to engage. None of the buttons light up. We checked the fuses and they all appear to be fine.
So any suggestions on what in the world it could be. The encoder motor was the most expensive one (the one with 6 prongs) and it's a brand new one so I'm a little baffled on why it isn't working. Please someone give me some suggestions. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow this weekend and it'd be great to be able to get around.

I read a few posts that are similar to my problem. Just went and checked the CTSY LP fuse and it's fine. I'm at a loss. I'm a disabled vet and can't afford to pay a mechanic so I'm hoping that I can get some help here.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

did you remember to plug in the motor?

no light on dash usually means no power to the TCCM. did you disconnect it and forget to hook it back up? If TCCM and the encoder motor are both plugged in then..........

.........check the TCM or ATC (one of those) fuse under the hood........IF you get the lights back and it still just flashes keep in mind that.........

......buttons flashing but no engaging could have also been just a bad vacume line. i'd check those just in case as well.

Last edited by Tinted; 02-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Well I checked those fuses you suggested, and then checked ALL the fuses under the hood and in the dash. All are good. I removed the skid plate and checked the connections to the motor and they are plugged in. So I guess I have to chase down the vacuum line. Ugh this is ridiculous. Does anyone have the vacuum line diagram? I'm not familiar with the names of a lot of the parts to a motor so reading that a vacuum line goes around a certain part doesn't help me any. lol

Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Here is the update....since the service 4wheel drive light was on I went and had it scanned for the code which said that the encoder motor was bad. Made sense seeing as how it didn't even make any attemtps to engage like the old one did. So I returned the encoder motor and had them order me another. I put it on last night and it works. Thanks to everyone who helped, I really do appreciate it.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for reporting back in! These trucks typically tell you what they think is wrong by way of illuminating a light. Most ignore the light and chase problems.