Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Newbie question about 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
gil
gil is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie question about 4WD

Hi All,

Blazer with 4button switch! (NV236 t-case)

If I am in 2HI and engage the front axel(manualy with posi-lok type cable) do I now have 4HI? If not what is the difference between 2HI and 4 HI?

Thanx
Gil

Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i dont know what it would be considered

For 4 wheel drive high, press the 4Hi button, then pull the locking cable handle firmly and twist it to lock it in place. To return to 2 wheel drive high, press the 2Hi button, the twist the locking cable handle and push it in and twist once again to lock it in place.

For 4 wheel drive low, press the 4Lo button, then pull the locking cable handle firmly and twist it to lock it in place. To return to 2 wheel drive high, press the 2Hi button, the twist the locking cable handle and push it in and twist once again to lock it in place.

For 2 wheel drive low (used for moving trailers around at slow speeds when tight cornering is needed), put the transmission in neutral and press the 4Lo button. Do NOT pull the locking cable handle.

-myson

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 01-31-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the NV236 transfer case, it may not like having the front axle disengaged when in any 4wd mode.

As far as the question that was asked, to get into 4wd, you must have both the front axle engaged as well as the transfer case in one of the 4wd modes (auto4wd, 4hi, or 4lo).

By locking in the front axle while in 2HI, all you have done is increased the rotational inertia of the drivetrain which will decrease your fuel mileage. Without the transfer case engaged in one of the 4wd modes, you are not in 4wd.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i dont know what it would be considered

For 4 wheel drive high, press the 4Hi button, then pull the locking cable handle firmly and twist it to lock it in place. To return to 2 wheel drive high, press the 2Hi button, the twist the locking cable handle and push it in and twist once again to lock it in place.

For 4 wheel drive low, press the 4Lo button, then pull the locking cable handle firmly and twist it to lock it in place. To return to 2 wheel drive high, press the 2Hi button, the twist the locking cable handle and push it in and twist once again to lock it in place.

For 2 wheel drive low (used for moving trailers around at slow speeds when tight cornering is needed), put the transmission in neutral and press the 4Lo button. Do NOT pull the locking cable handle.

-myson
That's confusing.... Well not really, but still that's a lot of work. I like my floor shifter

Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
I like my floor shifter
X2 on that one. Even though with the body lift I can barley grab it to shift it, I still like it. Although I would like to go to a manual lock system so as not to worry about the vac. system.

But then agian I would love to go to solid front and ditch the cv's, boots and all that lovely crap, but oh well.