Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Odd 4x4 issue...need me some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

the switch is located on your transfer case

it dont cost much but i cant get the info for you since i dont have the year of your truck

Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member
Nightpath is on a distinguished road

Oh, it's a 98 Blazer LS 4 door, I said it in the OP :P

"Today I was out and about in my 98 Blazer 4door, got in some mud and couldn't get out. Had to have a stranger in a Dodge pull me out."

Old 10-11-2011, 05:02 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

ahh ok then give me a sec ill find you a price for it from rock auto

here ya go

More Information for DORMAN 49315

16 bucks

Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My reference to vehicle info was pertaining to the transfer case...which is why I mentioned the transfer case I was referring to.

The 3-button switch in the dash = NV233 and there is a mechanical vacuum switch on the transfer case.

The 4-button switch = NV236 and there is an electronic solenoid on the firewall (i.e. nothing on the transfer case in terms of the front axle engagement).

"The devil's in the details"

*EDIT* - Here's some extra info for you if you do have the NV233 transfer case.
Vacuum line identification at the switch:

Switch location on transfer case:

The vacuum switch is the three pronged device with the hex just above the transfer case encoder motor & towards the center of the vehicle. Easiest access I have found was from the back of the t-case reaching in over the top of the t-case using a deep socket & flex head ratchet.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member

Holy crap, how do I get to it? I am in the right place so I did find it...do I just pop a wrench up there and haul it out? Seems like a pretty tight squeeze.

And if the switch is seized up it'll cause the actuator to stay suctioned and that keeps the front axle from moving the wheels as well as the rest of the vacuum lines pooched, and in turn causes the 4x4 not to engage properly right?

I tried pulling the vacuum line off and pulling the cable about 1/3 of an inch with vice grips to see if I could get the axle to engage...but I dont know if it did or not since I could only drive it up and down my driveway lol.

I really need 2 more jackstands :P

Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nightpath

I really need 2 more jackstands :P
Always a good idea to have four, esp with these vehicles. Wish I could remember where I left my fourth.. or who I loaned it to.. and why just one, for that matter.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may have multiple problems, but you found one so lets fix that and go from there.

You can determine what is actually engaging by putting one front tire up in the air with the transfer case locked in to 4wd (high or low doesn't matter). If you can spin that front tire, but the front driveshaft (between the transfer case & the front axle) doesn't spin, then the front axle is not locked in. If you can spin the front tire & the front driveshaft does spin, then the transfer case isn't properly engaging. If you can't spin the tire, the transfer case & front axle are locked in.

A stuck vacuum switch on the transfer case can lead to a frozen front engagement cable (what runs from the vacuum actuator down to the front axle.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member

I was told this is a good way to check if it's the vacuum switch (besides removing the battery, etc to find out that the vacuum is always on)

A way to check is if the truck is in 2wd, try to spin the front drivehshaft, it should spin, next put the truck in 4wd if the driveshaft locks up but the front axle aint working chances are its that switch.

Mine does exactly this. Now I have to save my dubloons to get the switch. Sometimes being in Canada sucks..prices are so high for some stuff. $18 Rockauto = $60 with shipping