Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Parts replacing for alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Blazer 98 is on a distinguished road
Default Parts replacing for alignment

This is in the message that I got. What parts are probably not an issue?
SUSPENSION ISSUES NEEDS:
UPPER BALL JOINTS - BAD (SAFETY ISSUE)
LOWER BALL JOINTS - BAD (SAFETY ISSUE)
FRONT OUTER TIE RODS - BAD
IDLER ARM - BAD
PITMAN ARM - BAD
If you could give me any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:26 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blazer 98
This is in the message that I got. What parts are probably not an issue?
SUSPENSION ISSUES NEEDS:
UPPER BALL JOINTS - BAD (SAFETY ISSUE)
LOWER BALL JOINTS - BAD (SAFETY ISSUE)
FRONT OUTER TIE RODS - BAD
IDLER ARM - BAD
PITMAN ARM - BAD
If you could give me any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
My opinion is they are all an issue. All those parts are connected in some way (knee bone connected to the thigh bone). Replacing some (like only the ball joints) will probably led to you replacing them again a year later. I'd replace all that are labeled "BAD".

Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Well depending on your problem and cost you could divide it up. I'm assuming that you're not doing it yourself so you're looking at $800 easy. The ball joints are a major concern because if they go your tire is going to fold up under the truck. I'd probably replace the ball joints and tie rod ends together though seeing how they are connected to each other.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:58 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

You also need to consider how much tires and alignments are running (tires prices have skyrocketed over the last couple years). You could end shortening your tire life by quite a bit. Depending on the brand of items you get, hoebob's estimate is in the ballpark if your having it done by a shop. If you want to go with what many consider the best and most lasting parts for these trucks, you might want to consider MOOG. Then you would need to raise the estimate of $800. But from experience of owning these and other 4x4 trucks over the last 30 years...whenever I tried to piecemeal the repairs on the front end (generally because of money), many times I was going back and having to replace a part that had already been replaced....and/or eating tires.

Ball joints are an absolute must and SOON. There are Members here who have posted pics of their wheel collapsed. Thankfully the pics I've seen posted have all been at slow speed while turning into a driveway or something. But picture that happening at Highway speed with your wife and child in the truck. Pretty scary to think about.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM
kavemanleee is an unknown quantity at this point

With ball joints and tie rod ends being replaced, have the mechanic service or replace the wheel bearings also since he's right there.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Starting Member

I'm going to agree with rockp2. Moog is a great brand but from experience I can say that I've ran parts master for many years and gotten great results. If you can wait a couple days check partsgeek.com, I redid most of my front end, ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends with the sleeves for $100 or less.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to make sure that they were not going to charge me for something that probably doesn't need replacing.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Starting Member

Well it all depends on the year of the vehicle and how it's been drove.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:48 PM

How many hours should that take, I'm thinking on doing it myself. I have replace the lower control arm bushings, so I should be able to do it.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If your doing it yourself and have never done it before, Figure on 4-6 hours. Pick a sat. or sunday. The second side is always faster than the first

Quick Reply: Parts replacing for alignment