Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Please Help. Front Diff Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member
bvanfossen is on a distinguished road
Question Please Help. Front Diff Questions

Thanks for looking-

I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4. It has developed a bearing noise on the drivers side where the CV plugs into the diff housing.
I have removed the CV and removed the 6 bolt plate that houses the seal. I also removed the small outer Bearing right behind the seal.

There is a key threaded Hub Bolt and behind it I can see a wide bearing. Can that bearing be removed from the outside?

I'd like to replace that if possible while it's apart.

Thank you!

Last edited by bvanfossen; 04-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

I would leave it alone. I hope you marked the original location of the key threaded hub nut because that sets the preload on those bearings.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot replace that bearing without splitting the axle as it is pressed onto the differential carrier. The only thing you could potentially replace if you were to pull the adjusting nut is the race for the bearing. If it ain't broke, don't try fixing it. If it is broke, find a junkyard axle because the IFS front axles are 'interesting' to rebuild.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
seriouswatts is on a distinguished road

Should the front axle (cv half shaft) slide easily out of the differential, or is there somethign holding it in? I have driver's side axle pulled out, but the case for the inner cv joint is stuck in the differential. I am just a little leary of yanking to hard on it.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

They should have a clip ring that holds them in place. On mine a pry bar took out the DS & a wood block & hammer knocked the PS axle out. It takes some progressive hits, start light & work up but it should pop out like the DS. Just make sure you find that ring, it'll either be in the housing or still on the shaft.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
seriouswatts is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. I am really struggling with the DS, my flat pry bar slips off since it is tapered, and whacking on it with a 2x4 block and hammer hasn't loosened it. Any suggestions? persistance? would a slide hammer be more effective? I don't have one, but should be able to pick one up.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I used a Stanley Wonderbar that is normally used for taking wood apart etc, it worked great because of the angles on how it's made & the flat wide ends.