Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Popping Noise from Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Beginning Member
bigt7088 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Popping Noise from Rear End

I have a 2000 4wd blazer. Before a mudding trip, a 6'8 400 pound gorilla(my buddy) decided to act stupid and bounced up anddown hanging off the back. When he did that, I felt the shocks "bottom out". I didn't notice anything wrong untill we got to the bumpy roads and I hear a popping noise from theleft rear when it bounces. Does this mean I'm going to need to replace that shock?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Popping Noise from Rear End

I believe that you should bottom out on the bump stops in the rear before you bottom out on the shocks themselves.

Does your truck have a rear sway bar? It is possible that an end link has gone bad.

But it is possible that your shocks could have been damaged... You just need to get back there and check everything out.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Beginning Member
bigt7088 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't had much time to look/work on it yet. But by glance inspection, I see that the lowest leaf in the leaf spring on that particuclar sideis completely flat. And by the way, I didn't find a rear sway bar.I plan on taking care of this issue as soon asI can, but do you think this is responsible for the popping noise? Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The last spring (lowest) on a leaf spring package is typically flat in a truck platform. It is an overload spring.

And no, I don't think that the lack of a rear sway bar has anything to do with the problem you are experiencing.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Dturner14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I might woud start by seeing in the shock/shocks are leaking in anyway. how old are the shocks? as far as the leak spring they have the flat look but look around them, clean them off and look for any cracks that might be in them. Also just wondering if it could be the exhuast hitting something or loose? thats about all I can say to help, hope everything goes ok for you and you fine that problem. Tell your buddy to go bounce on someone else car, LOL