Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Power steering pulley installation

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering pulley installation

Ok i need help really bad and fast if you guys can my truck is all torn apart and in my buddys yard we can not for the life of us put the pulley back on the pump its like 1/4 of the way on and i used hammers and sludge hammer and anything else i can think of... Let me know what to do thanks guys

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

you need to have the power steering pump pulley install tool..rent it from advance or autozone

Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 PM

ok i did not know that there was a tool for that
__________________________________________________ _____________
So how does it work i dont understand at all except for one way, because there is nothing for anything to latch onto unless that bolt in the middle of that shaft that the pulley goes onto comes off but also how would i grip that shaft with out damaging it to take out that center bolt?

Last edited by rriddle3; 09-03-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you used a hammer, you may very well never get the pulley back on. You have likely mushroomed the end of the hub to where the press fit will be too tight.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM

But where and how does this pulley installer tool work?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks exactly like what is on the end of the wrenches in the photo below. Threads into the center of the pump shaft.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Ok i got it done today i rented the tool and it went right on all is working fine now thanks for all the info kyle

Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 AM

Update: Well a day after i did the pump hose and put everything back i notice with turning right its works fine and when turning it back it works fine but once its line up straight when i go to turn left its really hard to turn any ideas?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Anyyyyyyone at all?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

if you have bled the air out of the pump by turning the steering wheel to the end of each turn both ways, several times,and made sure it was full and it still makes noise..i would say the pump is bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering pulley installation