Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Problem with rear axle shaft, need imput please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Beginning Member
Nathan007 is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with rear axle shaft, need imput please!

Hey all,

This is my first post on this forum!

I'm currently working on my mother's 1999 Chevy Blazer LT 4x4, it's my first time around this truck, well, around any truck ever. I am currently replacing a rear axle seal (near the wheel) because it was seriously leaking. I noticed alot of play also, in the passenger side axle (rear of course, same side as the seal). I managed to remove both shafts and found out this;

This is the driver side axle, at the bearing portion

Now, this is the passenger side axle, bearing portion again

Now, this doesnt look very normal to me.. But since i've never touched anything like this, i'm not sure. The groove looks machined this way, but is that possible?
Is it possible it was eaten-up with time? Should i get a new one? By the way, there was alot of metal "dust" on the differential cover magnet.

Also, regarding the leaky axle seal, is it possible that alot of it got on the caliper? At first i tought the caliper was leaking since everything was covered with juice (caliper, bracket, disc, pads, wheel..), but after some thinking maybe the disc got soaked by the leaking diff. fluid and with the car running it got splashed everywhere.

Please help me at least figure out if the axle is good of bad before i install new bearings/seals!!

Thanks alot!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. You need new axle shafts.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Beginning Member

thanks alot swartlkk!

Do i need both, or only the right side? (damaged)

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I really do not like the spalling that appears to be taking place on the better of the two. It would depend on how clean you can get it with some emery cloth and a bit of polishing.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Might wanna inspect the roller bearings inside the axle tubes also. Check for flat spots on the rollers and what not.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I hope those are being replaced!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, they are being replaced too!

Sadly, i'm still looking for the shafts, dealer wanted 800$/each, i managed to find a WAYYYY better solution, Dorman replacement units (comes with everything; seal, bearing, studs), could have got them for 200$/each, but nobody has them and i would have to wait several weeks. So i'm currently junkyard hunting!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
65longroof is an unknown quantity at this point

Use this site to find some junk yard ones... www.car-parts.com
Might just want to replace the whole rear axle.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 65longroof
Use this site to find some junk yard ones... www.car-parts.com
Might just want to replace the whole rear axle.
Just remember that if you go with the complete rear replacement make sure it has the same gear ratio as the unit in the truck.