Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ps pump or gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member
bluextremeblazer01slammed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ps pump or gearbox

Hi everyone. I am currently having a problem with my steering system. i have an 01 chevy blazer 2wd. i got stuck in my friends back yard and i ran all of the fluid out of my original ps pump. i drove it about 15 min and put some fluid in it from the store. as you can imagine it went bad. I drove my truck with what i call half *** power steering for months. i replaced it three weeks ago with a reman from autozone. It seemed to be ok but it was still noisy. i had a little slack in my steering so i adjusted the steering gearbox. i drove it down the road and back and it was hard to steer at higher speeds(hard to keep in one lane) and realized that i had more than likely adjusted it too far down. i backed back off of it and no results. it stayed the same. the pump i had had a little surface rust straight from the parts house ( looked like someone had purchased it, took what they wanted out of the box, then returned it and possibly gotten water on it). i Just replaced it yesterday and the noise is gone but the hard steering at higher speeds is still there and it still wonders from side to side. it wasnt doing that until i adjusted the gearbox adjustment. i am wondering if it is my gearbox that is bad. Anyone that could help me i would appreciate it. thanks for looking.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
bluextremeblazer01slammed is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody? guess ill just replace the gearbox and see what happens. im not the one to usually does this kind of thing, just replacing parts but i dont know what else to do. thanks for the views