Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

PS Whining, hard to steer, espec. when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Beginning Member
Jazzy is on a distinguished road
Default PS Whining, hard to steer, espec. when hot.

'91 S10, 4 wdr, 4.3.

I had a ps leak and bought tons of stp w/stopleak. It only slowed the leak. I bought a diff stop leak fluid from NAPA. It stopped the leak but after driving awhile it started to moan and was hard to steer. I checked fluid and was still full. If I stop, turn off engine, wait a bit and start up, it would not moan for awhile.

Now, it is moaning more quickly, after about 10min. of driving, and hard to steer......fluid still full.

Oh, near the time this started, the little rubber deal on the dipstick disappeared. It might be in the reservoir. If it is, would it cause this, and, how can I check or get it out? Any other ideas on what causes this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your power steering pump in almost done. As far as stop leak, its a quick fix for a future problem. I don't use stop leak in anything simply because it goes every where and cloggs up (learned that from radiator stop leak).

Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

+1^ @01extreme....the whole post is 100% correct.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jazzy
I had a ps leak and bought tons of stp w/stopleak. It only slowed the leak. I bought a diff stop leak fluid from NAPA. It stopped the leak but after driving awhile it started to moan and was hard to steer
Oh, near the time this started, the little rubber deal on the dipstick disappeared. It might be in the reservoir. If it is, would it cause this, and, how can I check or get it out? Any other ideas on what causes this? Thanks for any help you can provide.
NEVER USE a stop leak on ANYTHING... if you get a cut and your bleeding, would you shoot up with a blood clotter?? You will stop your bleeding but now you also may have cut blood supply to your brain or heart, etc....it will clot anywhere.

Fix the leak whether it's the lines or pump (you'll have to replace now anyway-it's probably burned up by now) or all the above. I believe the rubber blocked the port like a tub stopper and sucked down shut every time pump is running.