Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Question about Junkyard Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member
UnHoly is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Junkyard Parts

Hey guys, so heres the deal, I bought my 98 jimmy about 3 weeks ago, and I knew she needed some suspension work, which is almost done, but turns out I'm going to need a new caliper, and brake hose on one of the rear brake assemblies, as well as a new front left wheel speed sensor (think we broke it somehow when changing the ball joints).

Has anyone got any success or failure stories buying these kind of parts used? I'm trying to keep my tab down as I've already bought a bunch of parts, and right now I'm on a tight fixed budget. I need to get her in inspection state as soon as possible as it expired the first day of this month.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Most junkyards offer a warranty on used parts, the dowside is the time you spend replacing parts. If you are pulling the parts look for lowest miles and for the cleanest looking parts. You might find a new part on a recently crashed vehical. I was at a U-Pull it looking for parts for a toyotal previa and a van had a brand new starter in it. I pulled it and it tested fine at local parts store. I gave the starter to my daughter as a just in case part. Yes, you can get good used parts and you can get junk parts. It is kind of a crap shoot.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member

Yea I was at the junkyard yesterday. Turns out there aren't many junked blazers or Jimmy's lol... Makes finding cheap parts more difficult. Hopefully I can get up there again in the next week and maybe find some good stuff.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

check the prices ,somethings like a rebuilt caliper may not be worth playing around

Hoses ,you probably wont be able to get an old one off

Not sure what you mean by rear wheel assembly but if you are talking about friction material , no way

Brakes are something I don't believe anyone should short cut with on a repair
I have had a brake line blow out on the highway and its not great to lose any part of your braking ability

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Junkyards around here won't even sell brake of steering parts, and to be honest, it may be a part worth buying new, ya know, with yours and others peoples lives on the line and all.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

isnt a 2nd gen blazers caliper like 80 bucks? Around here they are like 20ish bucks used. So its worth the effort. brake hoses? well,not sure if its like this on 2nd gens compared to 1st,but aftermarket ones on first gens have lil c clip that holds the line onto the bracket,instead of the square clip,so thats a way in telling if its been replaced.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

hey, is your ride a 4X4? i think it will swap out...mine is a 99
i have spare wheel speed front sensors you can have one for 10.00 shipped if ya want.
i swap out wheel bearings and keep the sensors. see if they are the same.
that 10.00 assumes your in the US though.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 04-15-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Duralast Reman/Brake Caliper - Rear

Part Number: C628
Alternate Part Number: 90462
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Notes: Phenolic caliper piston
Add More Items to Compare
Price: $40.99
+Core: $30.00

from autozone.com so 41 bucks isnt to bad, i hate going to the junkyard unless its for a part you just cant get anymore.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by UnHoly
Hey guys, so heres the deal, I bought my 98 jimmy about 3 weeks ago, and I knew she needed some suspension work, which is almost done, but turns out I'm going to need a new caliper, and brake hose on one of the rear brake assemblies, as well as a new front left wheel speed sensor (think we broke it somehow when changing the ball joints).

Has anyone got any success or failure stories buying these kind of parts used? I'm trying to keep my tab down as I've already bought a bunch of parts, and right now I'm on a tight fixed budget. I need to get her in inspection state as soon as possible as it expired the first day of this month.

Thanks!

Solid parts like a wheel or driveshaft, go for it. Rubber parts and lower level sensors, you want to pass. An upper mounted sensor like a MASS sensor, you can get by but the ones down low are exposed to the elements and you'll come out ahead buying a new one. Calipers may or may not be good, however, they can usually be bought for less than core charge.

You never, ever want to trust a salvage yard pressure hose like a brake hose.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
hey, is your ride a 4X4? i think it will swap out...mine is a 99
i have spare wheel speed front sensors you can have one for 10.00 shipped if ya want.
i swap out wheel bearings and keep the sensors. see if they are the same.
that 10.00 assumes your in the US though.
Ill take you up on that. I have a 4x4, it's a 98 so they do swap. I'm in PA, so no special shipping or anything. Shoot me a PM and we can go through the info necessary. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Question about Junkyard Parts