Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rag Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:16 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Rag Joint Replacement

Hey everyone. I have about 2" of play in the steering wheel even with new wheel bearings, ball joints, idler arm and known good tie rod ends and pitman arm. I believe that the rag joint is bad. It has been like this since 58,000 miles when I got the car. I have 96,000 on it now and I would like to get it fixed. I have a few questions on this:

1. Where can I find this part without going to a dealership? I searched "rag joint" and "steering coupling" and only found a universal part that may not fit. I cannot find the assembly.

2. How hard/expensive is it to do? How many hours would a reasonable mechanic charge me to fix this?

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should be in the help section of your nearest Autozone.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It should be in the help section of your nearest Autozone.
I found it at Advance and Autozone. Thanks. My next question is: What size?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Those universal joints are expensive!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Those universal joints are expensive!
.... , complicated and a bit more than I need for this vehicle. All I want to do is get rid of the play in the steering that is being caused by the rag joint and not modify the steering system. I don't need a whole offroad steering mod because this thing doesn't go offroad that much. In fact, this thing is an interstate highway truck than anything else. I do drive it on many long trips at high speeds.
Now, if there is something that is a minor modification (like a rag joint eliminator(?) if they make one for this truck) that fixes the problem AND makes it impossible for a repeat failure (but isn't expensive), great. But I really do not want to make an expensive mod when a simple repair would fix the issue.

Edit: Has anyone here done it before? Which size Dorman "HELP!" steering coupling should I be getting? How is it actually installed so it is as strong as OEM?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 11-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 AM
BF Veteran

it wouldnt say its an "offroad" mod. its just a better part than oem.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by blazinloud
it wouldnt say its an "offroad" mod. its just a better part than oem.
It is a good idea, but still it is a bit much. What size rag joint would I need from the "HELP!" section? How easy is it and how many hours would any reasonable mechanic charge?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM
BF Veteran

i had mine looked at and for the "intermediate" shaft i think they called it, along with 1 more piece, they quoted over $1000 for just parts, after i picked my jaw up, i said screw that lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by blazinloud
i had mine looked at and for the "intermediate" shaft i think they called it, along with 1 more piece, they quoted over $1000 for just parts, after i picked my jaw up, i said screw that lol.
I ordered Dorman 31002 from Advance Auto. Just over 10 bucks. They have 31000 and 31005 in stock (the specs are identical) and I will get one of those as well just in case since they are only $8. I called 2 shops and they didn't know what I was talking about with just replacing the disk. They just jumped to the intermediate shaft and one said 2.5 hours labor and that they can't get to it until after Christmas because they are so busy with snow tires. I had to tell them about the existence of the Dorman part. The other shop I called is going to call me tomorrow. Good thing is that I have a cold air intake and getting to the rag joint is made simpler. Just one nut and a hose clamp and the intake tube and filter is out. No airbox to fight with. There is no way I am having the intermediate shaft replaced if just the rag joint is bad and it is replaceable. It is just extreme and way too much money. I do want to have it fixed properly, but I don't want to make modifications or spend a cent more than necessary to PROPERLY fix this.

Quick Reply: Rag Joint Replacement