Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rancho Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:47 PM
BillyBoy is on a distinguished road
Default Rancho Shocks

Installed RS 5000's on the front of a 98 Blazer 4X4. These shocks fit poorly and were noisy. Luckly I kept my stock ones witch I realized were still good.
Returned the Rancho's. Front end no longer sounds like a Bag Of Hammers. Waste of time when parts don't fit like they should.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i've heard some other people complain about the new 5000, luckily i have the 9000 series and mine work great.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i've heard some other people complain about the new 5000, luckily i have the 9000 series and mine work great.
some how i knew i would see you post on this one lol...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

I run ProComp ES3000's. Love um. I know what you mean with the rattle thing, min have about 1/16" of side to side travel, they rattle slightly when I hit bumps, but I will accept the noise for the ride they give. Especially off road.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use monroe reflex and love them!!! they ride a lil stiff but thats what i want

Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The rattle issue is a common problem with many aftermarket (and some OEM) replacement shocks. The sleeve in the bushing on the top is not as long as the originals to make them easier to install.

I have seen this on many different brands of shocks and you always pull your hair out the first time you come across it. On some, I have been able to just tighten down the upper shock mounting bolt more to pull the sides in and tighten up the joint. On others, I have had to use an appropriately sized washer as a shim to get it to tighten up properly.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Beginning Member
01Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

So, what are some brands/models of shocks that do fit well. I'm looking for something that gives OEM ride, or slightly better. Seems the ride on my 01 Jimmy (about 100K km) seems very smooth on even pavement and highways, a little bit wallowing during cornering, harsh as hell if the road (or parking lot) deteriorates. Don't know if this is expected ride for this truck, or whether shocks are going. Truck is in great condition, suspension bone stock and no funny noises or strangeness.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Beginning Member
manekDC2_ is on a distinguished road

im running Blistien HD's and i like them... but i want something that rides a little harder... i would stick with Mono-tube shocks - they can take more abuse and dissapate heat better then the twin tubes... i hear a lot of the Jeep guys run the Monroe's they are like 40-50 per shock... Bilsteins are like 80 bucks a pop...

Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member
crazycaptain56 is on a distinguished road

My ES3000 fit perfectly and offer no noise =). I do have a mystery noise that sounds bad when I hit a big bump going 10MPH or more. Its like a crunch sound but I do not think its the shocks.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member
tofunater is on a distinguished road

I put these Bilstein's--> B46-1412-HO B46-1413-HO on my Blazer. The shop had to do it, because I didn't have the tools to cut the originals off. So I don't know how easy they are to install, but they perform very well. They're pretty stiff, but the handling quality has increased significantly.

Quick Reply: Rancho Shocks