Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

re-installing front COIL SPRING help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
bluextremeblazer01slammed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re-installing front COIL SPRING help

Ok i have an 01 blazer xtreme. I have searched and searched and i can not find anywhere how to use the coil compressor so that can put my stupid spring back in. when i try to put the spring back in (compressed) the long bolt that goes through the middle of the spring hits the top where the shock mounts. i have recompressed and recompressed the spring over and over trying to get it to line up with the shock mount hole so i could get the spring all the way up. i am having lots of trouble out of these springs could someone help me out.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member

anyone? im really struggling. has anybody ever had this problem?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

You might need to wait more than an hour and a half for someone to reply but, do you have the sway bar link disconected?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

It's been awhile since I have worked on anything with coil springs. And I didn't have a coil compressor (used chain and a Master Lock , I would disconnect the lower control arm and remove/replace the coil spring. If the spring needed further to be compressed so i could reconnect the lower control arm, I would use a jack placed under the control arm to compress the spring until I could get everything bolted back up.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Beginning Member

sorry about that. But yes i have the sway bar link disconnected lol. If i didn't i would not even be able to attempt to put the spring in. I think i may be compressing the spring to much. My problem is when i compress the spring and try to put it in, the bolt that goes through the middle is sticking way too far above the spring and is hitting where the shock mounts to the frame keeping the spring from going up far enough. when i have mine compressed mine looks like the picture that i edited that i have attached. should i have to compress my spring that much??

Attached Thumbnails re-installing front COIL SPRING help-img_7536.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

th
Originally Posted by rockp2
It's been awhile since I have worked on anything with coil springs. And I didn't have a coil compressor (used chain and a Master Lock , I would disconnect the lower control arm and remove/replace the coil spring. If the spring needed further to be compressed so i could reconnect the lower control arm, I would use a jack placed under the control arm to compress the spring until I could get everything bolted back up.
i would do at but i had so much trouble getting my control arm back in i feel it would almost be impossible to do it that way. i had to spread the brackets out to get my control arm in.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

wouldn't installation be reverse of removal? how did you get it out?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Last time I did one, I did it like Rockp2 described. Put a jack stand under the lower control arm and lower the vehicle. Using a compressor like the one pictured, you start the upper end first, then stick the ram bolt through the shock hole in the lower control arm and loosen it to decompress the spring.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bluextremeblazer01slammed
th

i would do at but i had so much trouble getting my control arm back in i feel it would almost be impossible to do it that way. i had to spread the brackets out to get my control arm in.
I'm not sure what you mean by "trouble getting the control arm back in", but just to clarify my previous statement, I should have said "pivot" not "remove". Pivot the control arm by disconnecting it from the spindle so you can pivot the control arm down. Then after the spring is in place, use a floor jack to push the control arm back on to the spindle and bolt everything up. Then remove the compressor

Actually I didn't even know you could remove/replace the coil springs without disconnecting the control arm from the spindle.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
wouldn't installation be reverse of removal? how did you get it out?
it still had a little pressure on it when i pulled it out. its harder to get back in.

Quick Reply: re-installing front COIL SPRING help