Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   re-installing front COIL SPRING help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/re-installing-front-coil-spring-help-75510/)

bluextremeblazer01slammed 11-30-2012 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 554288)
Last time I did one, I did it like Rockp2 described. Put a jack stand under the lower control arm and lower the vehicle. Using a compressor like the one pictured, you start the upper end first, then stick the ram bolt through the shock hole in the lower control arm and loosen it to decompress the spring.

im having trouble getting the end of the bolt through the shock mount hole thats located on the frame.......

bluextremeblazer01slammed 11-30-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by rockp2 (Post 554289)
I'm not sure what you mean by "trouble getting the control arm back in", but just to clarify my previous statement, I should have said "pivot" not "remove". Pivot the control arm by disconnecting it from the spindle so you can pivot the control arm down. Then after the spring is in place, use a floor jack to push the control arm back on to the spindle and bolt everything up. Then remove the compressor

Actually I didn't even know you could remove/replace the coil springs without disconnecting the control arm from the spindle.

ok yeah thats what im doing. i thought you meant remove the entire arm lol. i have installed coil springs before just never had this much trouble with the compressor. it seems that the bolt that sticks through the entire thing is too long. i guess if i cut the tool or put a million washers on the bottom side it would work.

Captain Hook 11-30-2012 06:30 PM

Shouldn't be an issue, the head of the ram bolt faces downward. If you're having trouble doing it like that, the ram bolt is too long. In which case you'll need a different compressor, or do it as described above.

rockp2 11-30-2012 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bluextremeblazer01slammed (Post 554294)
ok yeah thats what im doing. i thought you meant remove the entire arm lol. i have installed coil springs before just never had this much trouble with the compressor. it seems that the bolt that sticks through the entire thing is too long. i guess if i cut the tool or put a million washers on the bottom side it would work.

If you do cut, just make sure that there is enough thread left for the "de-compression".

bluextremeblazer01slammed 11-30-2012 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok i got that issue fixed. i have a 3 inch piece of heavy duty pipe. the spring will go in now!! thanks for the help. i have one more problem lol. i set the end of the spring in between the two drain holes? this is what mine looks like. from the way the picture looks, would the end of the spring set at 12 oclock? 3 oclock?that should be easy to understand

bluextremeblazer01slammed 11-30-2012 08:06 PM

nm i went back to a page i was looking at i found it thanks

Captain Hook 11-30-2012 08:08 PM

Can't really see in the picture, possibly 12:00 ??? The tail of the spring should only fit in one way and "bump" up against a "stop" in the arm.