Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

rear axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM
2003_CHEVY_BLAZER is on a distinguished road
Default rear axle swap

Sorry if im already asking a question that's been answered im on my phone

I have recently blew up my rear gu6 axle in my 2003 blazer. This is the 2nd one in 2 years, is there anyway of getting a bigger axle like out of a 1500 or so? I have 33s and the stock gears so im sure that isn't helping.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Why don't you find a ZR2 axle to swap in. They are an 8.5 I believe. Or the best way IMO would be to swap in an 8.8 out of an explorer and have the hubs redrilled to 5x4.75.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Would I have to change drive shafts or anything? Im just trying to get out of breaking axles so often.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

You may have to change the rear u joint and possibly figure out the ebrake but those should be pretty simple to figure out since a ton of others have done it.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 PM

But the splines will line up? I took out my e brake cables anyway I just wanna get like an upgrade for the rear so a zr2 or ford explorer rear end. Im thinking ill do the zr2 swap so do I have to change shock mounts for that?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah they are both "almost" bolt in axles. Keep in mind also the Z axle is 2"(I think some correct me if I'm wrong) wider so it will push your rear end out a bit. What do you have for a lift? If its still the IFS the Z axle will make your rear wheels even with the fronts.

I know El_Beautor and Okiedoak20 are both running Z axles you may want to hit them up for more info

Last edited by rexmburns; 06-21-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 AM

Yea I have the ifs I wish I had a solid front axle cause the front chews through cvs and steering components.

So I have the gu6 3.42s I think that's what it is, what do I do in matching the front?
Or do I change the front gears also with these swaps?

I really appreciate the help!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

The only difference was the rear u joint. It is different and I found a conversion u joint and problem solved, also had to change the u joint straps but if u pull the axle get the straps with it.will save a lot of time later. The rear wheel spacing is wider. Thats helps a lot with the front/rear width thing.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2003_CHEVY_BLAZER
Yea I have the ifs I wish I had a solid front axle cause the front chews through cvs and steering components.

So I have the gu6 3.42s I think that's what it is, what do I do in matching the front?
Or do I change the front gears also with these swaps?

I really appreciate the help!
that is probably your problem.. to high of a gear for the size of the tires. 3.73's would be better and 4.11's better still. the problem with changing the rear end gear is that you have to change the front end as well. which basically doubles the cost of the job. if you find an axle which as 3.73's in it (i think most zr2 axles had them from the factory) then you would still have to buy the front end gears and have someone install everything unless you know how to do that.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

What I did was, I found a jimmy with 3.73 gears and took both axles. Sold some parts got most my money back then had the carcass towed out
Got $300 for that, then installed both axles in my Envoy. Axles ended up being free but still had to do some work to get them

Quick Reply: rear axle swap