Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear end problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member
dart08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Rear end problem?

I've got a '99 Blazer LS 4x4 with a problem that's got me ready to pick up a hammer and...well, suffice it to say, "make some adjustments." lol. Anyway, there is a rubbing noise (steel on steel?) that seems to be coming from the passenger side rear. I've changed both brake calipers (rebuilt), disc pads, had all the rotors turned and installed a new one on the passenger side rear. I've also changed both U-joints on the driveshaft that goes into the rear differential. In addition, I installed new rear wheel bearings and seals and changed the fluid. There were no metal flakes in the old fluid and the gears seem okay. The noise is still there along with the annoyance that's like a mother-in-law that refuses to go home. Ha ha...I need to maintain my sense of humor here...Back to the noise...it all but disappears once I get up to about 30 mph so it is worse at low speeds. What the heck can it be? I'm bouncing my skull off the fenders here! I'm in dire need of a quiet ride! Thanks!
-Dave

Last edited by dart08; 09-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE: This morning I put the right rear on a jackstand and put the Blazer in neutral. I then turned the wheel and could hear a clicking noise coming from the front of the vehicle. I immediately thought 'front universals'. Next I jacked up the left front, pulled the left front tire, and turned the rotor. Now I see that the holes in the rotor are too big for the studs! The studs will move in the rotor holes about 1/8" before engaging the rotor. That can't be right, right?

What I'm going to do next is to remove the rotor from the left front hub and then hold onto two opposing studs and turn the hub (both hubs are new) to see whether the clicking noise is gone or not. I'll get back on here later this afternoon with another update. I sure would appreciate some advice on this matter though. Thanks in advance for that!
-Dave

Old 09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member

Okay, well it turns out that the rotors are fine and the noise still sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the vehicle. I looked through the forum but did not find any relevant info on what this could be. I'm completely stumped on this one. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member

Today, Saturday, September 19, a buddy of mine listened from in the vehicle as I drove and he said the noise is not coming from the passenger side rear but from from the rear in the area of the differential. What could this be? I already inspected the spider gears and the pinion is okay. I really need some help here! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dart08; 09-19-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:58 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

when you replaced the rear u joints did you install them properly?..sometimes a needle bearing falls out of place and will cause a clicking noise too

Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
when you replaced the rear u joints did you install them properly?..sometimes a needle bearing falls out of place and will cause a clicking noise too
Thanks Reelbroke2! I double checked the u-joints and no, that's not the problem. Also, this is a rubbing noise that has a steel on steel sound to it. My buddy said it's coming from the area of the rear differential.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Put the rear end on jack stands, block the front tires, start 'er up and put it in gear, crawl underneath and see if you can pin point exactly where the noise is coming from.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road

i had a simular noise Do you have hub caps? mine was caused by my beauty rings it is worth removing to see if it solves itself

Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
Put the rear end on jack stands, block the front tires, start 'er up and put it in gear, crawl underneath and see if you can pin point exactly where the noise is coming from.
That's a good suggestion AJBert. I'll try that today if I can borrow a couple of jack stands as I only have two right now. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mod8521
i had a simular noise Do you have hub caps? mine was caused by my beauty rings it is worth removing to see if it solves itself
No I don't have hub caps so that couldn't be it. However, I'm going to try another wheel on the right rear just in case a separated belt might be causing the rubbing noise. If not, then I'll have to get my Blazer up on jack stands. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rear end problem?