Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear wheel squeak after hydroplaned into curb

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021 | 04:01 PM
|
Benito is on a distinguished road
Default Rear wheel squeak after hydroplaned into curb

Hello, the other day I hydroplaned into a curb pretty hard, it cracked the rear rim pretty bad. It didnt damage the front driver rim but the driver rear is done for. It didn't break the bead so it still holds air.
After it dried up, I took it for a spin, to check for anything different. I noticed when I would press on the brake, when parked, it does a little squeak from the rear driver wheel. Also as I drove around the block I kept hearing a squeak from the rear driver wheel at certain tire positions. Not a constant noise. When I would brake the sound quieted but still would appear a certain intervals.

does anybody has any idea what could be causing it?
I'm getting a new rim soon so I hope it's just the busted rim rubbing on the tire or something. In the meantime any guesses would be great. I won't have time to take off the wheel and inspect the area until after the new rim arrives
Thank you!

Old 01-29-2021 | 06:35 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

If you hit hard enough to break the rim, there's a pretty good chance the axle may be bent.

Old 01-30-2021 | 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hess13x
If you hit hard enough to break the rim, there's a pretty good chance the axle may be bent.
Yup, I agree. And a bent axle could cause the brake drum to rub the backing plate or other things and cause a squeak.