Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

rear wheel wobles

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Beginning Member
chimacc is on a distinguished road
Default rear wheel wobles

was told i need new wheel bearings and seal when replaceing iam going to do both is there any thing else i should replace like Axle Differential Bearing or anything else

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS

any part numbers would help too

Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chimacc
was told i need new wheel bearings and seal when replaceing iam going to do both is there any thing else i should replace like Axle Differential Bearing or anything else

"

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS

any part numbers would help too
What do you mean 'wobbles'? When you're driving down the street, you can see it wobble?? Like the wheel was bent?
That's an AWFUL bad bearing. The noise alone... plus you'd have rear axle fluid everywhere.
Or when you lift wheel off ground you can shake tire and it moves sideways a little.

Bottom, line unless the differential is making noise, probably dont have to replace that 'differential bearing'.

Part #.. use this site: {court Giovanni}
Car parts for your Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Hummer, Light Truck, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and more!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Beginning Member

when I lift wheel off ground I can shake tire and it moves sideways a lot and when driving it makes noise and not sure what to buy was told there is a inner outer bearing + seals and the whole back axiel will have too come off and also would have 2 drain gear oil and refill it with more not even sure how much gear oil i will need and thanks frog for replying the mechanic i talk too works only with disel truck semis but said he do the job for free i i bought all the parts not really sure what to buy

Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm if the wheel wobbles like that maybe look to the wreckers for a used axle with the same gearing. Then after a 30 min or so R/R you'd have to get an alignment. A rear axle shouldn't cost more than $200, but keep in mind that used is you get what it is. Try to make sure it's from a low mileage vehicle with no rear end or side by the rear wheels damage.

<edit> a '78 blazer with a rear end issue? I'll trade you mine + you give me $7000 lol I'd love to have a '78 blazer

Last edited by Rottidog; 08-26-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Hmmm if the wheel wobbles like that maybe look to the wreckers for a used axle with the same gearing. Then after a 30 min or so R/R you'd have to get an alignment. A rear axle shouldn't cost more than $200, but keep in mind that used is you get what it is. Try to make sure it's from a low mileage vehicle with no rear end or side by the rear wheels damage.

<edit> a '78 blazer with a rear end issue? I'll trade you mine + you give me $7000 lol I'd love to have a '78 blazer
Yeah. If you need that inner/differential bearing and If the tread on the tire moves more than 1/8 inch or so, you may as well replace the whole thing.
The axle bearing surface would probably be damaged as well, meaning new axle. And if that inner bearing is bad, there are going to be other problems too.
How's the bearing on the other side?

So you're saying the guy will do it free if you pull the whole rear axle housing and take it to him? If you're going to all that work, either do the axle bearing and seals yourself on jackstands, or replace the whole thing.

I'd suggest replacing the seals and lube on the used one, too. Of course you will check for slop on those axles.

97 BLAZER REAR END - YouTube

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member
Default ok

OK i replaced the bearings near the tires did both sides wobble stopped and the axle looked good but i still have the squeak while driving squeak stops as soon as i touch the breaks any ideas great video wish i saw that before had a hard time with the bearings and any videos on you tube with shift cable or coulum shifter for a blazer 96?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the runout on the face of the axle flange? Maybe the axle is bent slightly...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member

no i dint check that i just look for dirt and the teeth or gears but i staring 2 think the squeaking is from the breaks and i will try to figure out what 2 grease and do a recheck thanks for the help