Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replace ABS Sensor Or Whole Hub Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM
mohms is on a distinguished road
Default Replace ABS Sensor Or Whole Hub Assembly?

Hello all. I searched through many threads, but couldn't find an answer to this specific question...

After replacing the driver side half shaft and ball joints, my ABS light is now on. I'm pretty sure I damaged the sensor. I tried cleaning it to no effect.

My question is, should I just purchase a new sensor, or get a new hub assembly that comes with a sensor? I am worried about clearance issues with a new sensor and the old hub assembly.

The vehicle is a 2001 Jimmy 4wd with 127K miles. The current hub assembly is the original. Rock Auto has the sensor only for around $70, and the Hub Assembly with sensor for around $110.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

you cant repalce the sensor, its part of the bearing assemble. More than likely you got a bunch of debris lose inside the sensor area. Look in the DIY section for a thread I did on replacing the hub assemble. Dont follow the Chilton manual, its the long expensive version.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Uh, yeah you can. The ABS sensor is attached to the hub assembly via a metric allen bolt. It is easily separated from the hub assembly.

Here is a pic of a replacement sensor:

See the hole next to the sensor where the bolt goes through?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

correct you can replace the just the sensor, i did when mine went. but i got mine from the junkyard for $5, just had to pull it myself. worked great, but if you want to replace the sensor with a new one i would reccomend the whole bearing just beacuse its only $40 more and its not that much more work if you were going to replace the sensor any way. i look at it like preventitive maintainence.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks man, that is what I was thinking. The whole assembly it is then!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Starting Member
Tarmac Wizard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mohms
Hello all. I searched through many threads, but couldn't find an answer to this specific question...

After replacing the driver side half shaft and ball joints, my ABS light is now on. I'm pretty sure I damaged the sensor. I tried cleaning it to no effect.

My question is, should I just purchase a new sensor, or get a new hub assembly that comes with a sensor? I am worried about clearance issues with a new sensor and the old hub assembly.

The vehicle is a 2001 Jimmy 4wd with 127K miles. The current hub assembly is the original. Rock Auto has the sensor only for around $70, and the Hub Assembly with sensor for around $110.

Thanks!
Seems expensive: http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/...mbly-mmy-.aspx

Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

try pricing them up here Tarmac!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I debated the same thing when my sensor went. It was somewhere around $80 just for the sensor, or $100 for the whole assembly. I figured for the extra $20, I might as well get a whole new hub as I'm sure I'd be needing one eventually.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Starting Member
Tarmac Wizard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
try pricing them up here Tarmac!
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.ca/ ? lol

Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced my Hubs. I saved teh Sensors. Just in case.

Now that I got two free spare Sensors, I would replace the Sensor and turn by hand to make sure there is no clearance issues.

Quick Reply: Replace ABS Sensor Or Whole Hub Assembly?