Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replace differential guts or swap whole axle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
YJ Wralph is on a distinguished road

Well that's enough today... Soaked up to the waist and chilled to the bone from the waist down. A pic of the donor rig...
It can't be moved so I've gotta do it in the snow with hand tools... The one I'm putting this axle in is across town, and doesn't move yet, either. I spent the morning gathering and loading tools, jack, stands, etc in the Heep and drinking coffee. I've got the 97 off the ground, wheels and drums off, brake lines off at the T, and everything else soaked in penetrating oil. Don't wanna cut the u-bolts off unless I have to, because I need to put the other axle under it so it can be loaded into a trailer and hauled to the wrecker in the spring after I take what I want off the engine...

The rig that this axle is going under is a 99 2-door Whistler/Blackcomb edition. Tomorrow morning I'm going over to where the 99 is to have a better look at the differences ie brake lines and sway bar... I think I will have to take my shoes etc off the 97 to get the e-brake cables off. It won't need an inspection to be insured and it will always be parked on flat ground so I'm not concerned about it. I'll deal with them in the spring.

Attached Thumbnails Replace differential guts or swap whole axle?-02a3b86d-3971-474c-bd52-0a1617db4f0b-11777-0000150a0af76a4f.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Hope it goes ok for you. Working in the snow and cold of a Canadian winter isn't very fun.

By the way, do you have plans for the brush guard on the front of your donor truck?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Hope it goes ok for you. Working in the snow and cold of a Canadian winter isn't very fun.

By the way, do you have plans for the brush guard on the front of your donor truck?
No, I was planning on more than likely letting it go with the truck... Don't think the aluminum would look all that good on a black truck...

Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

Don't be afraid to paint something.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by YJ Wralph
No, I was planning on more than likely letting it go with the truck... Don't think the aluminum would look all that good on a black truck...
If you ever wanted to pull it and were heading Edmonton way shoot me a message. I may be interested. With my 2-tone paint it might go really nice.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Beginning Member

1/3 of the way there...
Just gotta get the one out of the 99 and throw this one in it!

Attached Thumbnails Replace differential guts or swap whole axle?-7434e845-2619-4f84-bf16-b9a7ed80ada4-12291-000015fcdbcfab47.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

If you ever wanted to pull it and were heading Edmonton way shoot me a message. I may be interested. With my 2-tone paint it might go really nice.
If he is gonna junk it, why not make the drive and go get it yourself?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Beginning Member

Two axles out and one in, in under 6 hours, in the snow, with hand tools and a good buddy! The 99 got driven home, and it's done... Thanks, guys, for the advice and encouragement!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry, dude, I ain't gonna be going anywhere near Edmonton any time soon....

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

WHAT are them buckets on the front side of the axle? is it a coil rear?

Quick Reply: Replace differential guts or swap whole axle?