Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

replacing rag joint due to sloppy steering and wandering couple questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
88blackzcand95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replacing rag joint due to sloppy steering and wandering couple questions?

ok first off i have searched this for a while and this site has been very helpful in determining that my sloppy steering and excessive wandering on the highway is due to a worn rag joint

i have popped the hood and had an assitant slightly wiggle the steering wheel while i watched the rag joint...... it is worn and loose

trust me everything else in the steering is solid and tight, with that in mind who has replaced it with a aftermarket shaft or a 98 grand cherokee shaft like the article i read linked from 20blazer00 and orginally written by 92s10sport from a diff site:

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic...hlight=tighten steering

ok couple of questions

1. how hard is this swap?the article while well written and even humorous had me puzzled a few times

2. for a 95 4x4 blazer i need a 98 grand cherokee shaft right?

3. any other parts or tools that may be helpful

thanks anybody who has done this swap on a second gen (+95) or a similar one any help would be very much appreciated

i am headed to the junk yard on wed to pull one off a Jeep Grand Cherokee (not totally certain of the year) and i just want to make this swap as easy and as SAFE as possible

thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: replacing rag joint due to sloppy steering and wandering couple questions?

Make sure that whatever you replace it with only has one u-joint, otherwise your steering shaft may bind up on you. There is already one u-joint behind the firewall, adding one more is not going to hurt things, adding two more will.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Default RE: replacing rag joint due to sloppy steering and wandering couple questions?

wow i was just about to head to the junk yard to do the cherokee swap and now i hear this

thank you for the advice, makes sense

anybody else mess arround with either steering shaft and got some advice?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:47 PM

replaced worn shaft with one from an 02 blazer with less miles

had to cut 1/2 inch off to fit but easy swap and steering is much better

thanks for everybody help

Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 PM
c5ce is an unknown quantity at this point

With as many Blazers as there are, you'd think some aftermarket company would offer a replacement.