Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

s10 blazer frame bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member
kxpolarnut is on a distinguished road
Default s10 blazer frame bushings

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I look forward to being a member. I own a 93 s10 blazer which I am trying to fix up alittle. I have a slight clunk in the front end area when going over bumps. I was under it doing some line work and noticed the the frame to body bushings are shredded and totally rotten. I have never replaced them before and do not know the procedure. I tried to search this site the best I could and couldnt find in detail what I need to learn. A friend said that it is possible that those bushings are the noise. If anyone could explain to me how to change them out in pretty good detail it would be greatly appreciated. I hope someone will reply to this thread and thank you all for your time.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Remove bolt and spacers, a jack will allow a small lift on the body and remove and replace bushings and spacers. The problem will be breaking the bolts loose. I would recomend a 1/2 drive breaker bar, 1/2 drive socket with no extensions and a cheater pipe for extra leverage. Once the bolts are broke loose the replacement of the bushings should be very simple. If you look at a Haynes book for replaceing the engine they recommend removing the body bolts in order to jack up the body off of the frame for access to the upper bell housing bolts. (Does not work by the way)

Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member
kxpolarnut is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mr.vls
Remove bolt and spacers, a jack will allow a small lift on the body and remove and replace bushings and spacers. The problem will be breaking the bolts loose. I would recomend a 1/2 drive breaker bar, 1/2 drive socket with no extensions and a cheater pipe for extra leverage. Once the bolts are broke loose the replacement of the bushings should be very simple. If you look at a Haynes book for replaceing the engine they recommend removing the body bolts in order to jack up the body off of the frame for access to the upper bell housing bolts. (Does not work by the way)
Thank you very much for your response, it should be very helpful.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bushings

yes you will want to change them soon if you haven't already. The squeeking noise is most likely from the bushings (they were in my case). Once new ones are in you should notice a smoother ride and more control to the wheel. Also if you do not change it will reposition the way your tire sits and will eat up the inside of your tire and make it bald such as mine did.