Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Screwed the pooch, 94 Olds Bravada AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Beginning Member
82 Iron Duke is on a distinguished road
Default Screwed the pooch, 94 Olds Bravada AWD

OK guys, I have been searching for 2 days and I know you will have an answer. 2 weeks ago I got a flat, I have 215's on my vehicle and the only spare I had was a 235. I put it on and drove about 12 miles on the highway at 65 mph. All of a sudden a ton of smoke poured out the rear of the vehicle so I pulled over. To make a long story short I got another 215 and she has driven fine for the last 2 weeks. I have to keep adding 80/90 to the front diff and I found the leak yesterday. I will post a pic, any advice what broke, what it's called, and how big of a job is it?
Thanks
BTW, its leaking between the round disc and the diff hub, there is about 1/8" of play.

Last edited by 82 Iron Duke; 05-27-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the driver side CV shaft output or the front driveshaft input to the front diff? I cannot tell from the picture, but it looks like the driver side CV shaft output.

You likely pushed the seal out of the differential.

Hopefully you did not roast the clutches in the transfer case. The transfer case on the early AWD trucks was a dedicated 30/70 split F/R and VERY sensitive to tire size.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member

Its where the cv shaft attaches to the front diff. If I smoked the clutches would it still drive, it is losing quite a bit of gear oil and it is burning off and it stinks pretty bad.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should probably check the condition of the fluid in the transfer case and replace it if it is burnt. I do not know a lot about the BW4472/BW1372 transfer case, but I do know they have a viscous clutch that splits the power. I am not sure what happens when a viscous clutch goes. Here is an article about it though:
Borg Warner 4472 AWD Transfer Case

About your fluid leak. It should be fairly straight forward to get fixed. Remove the axle, remove the hub from the differential, pry out the old lip seal, tap in new lip seal, and reinstall hub and axle.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply and the link, I am not too knowledgable about 4wd or awd, but I will check the fluid in the transfer case. Like I stated before I am leaking gear oil from the front diff bad and it is burning off the exhaust. I just came home from picking up my son and I noticed it is leaking from the passenger side also. I hope I just blew the seals and it isn't something major. I can't pinpoint the leak on the passenger side yet.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to freak anyone out but is that a crack in the housing? Running from say 5 o'clock to 11 o'clock starting at the orange seal.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Beginning Member

You know when I saw the picture I thought the same thing. I think it's from the casting but I didn't see any oil leaking from there

Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by oisinirish
Not to freak anyone out but is that a crack in the housing? Running from say 5 o'clock to 11 o'clock starting at the orange seal.
Whew, I had to go check, that what appears to be a crack is bone dry while there is still oil leaking from the seal

Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Whew!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member

Ok guys, I tore her down today. The guy who was supposed to work on her bailed on me. I took it apart pretty easily, now what I found was that the seal looked ok but I pulled it out anyway. When I took out the axle hub it was only attached with a snap ring. Once I got the old seal out I found 2 small pieces of rod like material. I found about 1/4" of it in two pieces and the diameter of it was like a toothpick. Any ideas while I wait for the right seal, the guys at Checkers sold me the wrong seal and I have to wait until tomorrow to get the right one. Is that all the holds the hub to the transfer case or do those small pieces I found have some way of locking it in?

Quick Reply: Screwed the pooch, 94 Olds Bravada AWD