Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Shackles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Beginning Member
Druubin is on a distinguished road
Default Shackles!

I just put on my 2" inch rear lift shackles on last night.

I sacrificed the beauty of my hands and about 5 hours but its sittin' so pretty right now.
the only thing i have a question about is whats the difference in the connected shackles, like how the stock ones are and ones that are two separate pieces?

Heres it sitting stock

Last edited by Druubin; 03-16-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: pics!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

so you are talking about shackles like these? these are said to be not as strong as the connected shackles but I have had these for almost a year and do heavy 4 wheeling and I haven't had any problems with them. I kind of like mine because I think they make the leaf springs a little more "flexible". but I guess the main and only different is the connected ones are more reinforced but both are held on but similar screws so I don't see these breaking any faster than connected ones

Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member
Druubin is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337

so you are talking about shackles like these? these are said to be not as strong as the connected shackles but I have had these for almost a year and do heavy 4 wheeling and I haven't had any problems with them. I kind of like mine because I think they make the leaf springs a little more "flexible". but I guess the main and only different is the connected ones are more reinforced but both are held on but similar screws so I don't see these breaking any faster than connected ones
The exact same, Is there any difference if i hooked my 3 holes up at the top rather then how you have them at the bottom?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i used those same shackles, just bought two sets to double up and some grade 8 hardware and made a center connection with some thick walled steel tube and additional bolts...works just fine....

Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

The point of having the three holes at the bottom is so you can adjust shackle height easier. And the leaf springs being more 'flexible' is mostly likely the lateral movement of the leaf spring side-to-side since two separate shackles are not as strong as one piece. Doubling them up and adding a connection via steel tubing (welded) is essentially a DIY shackle. I'm curious how the cost of materials for that avenue compares to buying shackles that are already complete?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have mine on the third hole now too. still works good

Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

If it were me I'd prefer to have the cross member piece that you see on a lot of shackles. It would give me peace of mind that it would prevent against twisting and lateral movement of the shackle. But that's just me.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member
soky25 is on a distinguished road

hi guys!! I again with the question!!
how to raise the front Bumper?

can I somehow squeeze the spring front between the chassis and wheels??

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-17-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not replied.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same two piece shackles that have welded tubes in the middle of them... i have a welding machine so it only costed me 10$ for the tubes for both pieces and i took them home and welded them together. the whole project costed me 35$. but i have a few friends who own a welding shop who said they would charge 20 to 30$ to weld it up if you have the metal, so that is worth checking into if you want it stronger. I see some shackles on ebay for 45$ with free shipping, i dont know how good they are but if they are good then you will be better off buyin them there unless you have welding supplys where you will save about 5 or 10$.

Last edited by leeclark; 03-17-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soky25
hi guys!! I again with the question!!
how to raise the front Bumper?

can I somehow squeeze the spring front between the chassis and wheels??
need more info like 2wd or 4wd?

Quick Reply: Shackles!