Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

squeeking around turns and over 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default squeeking around turns and over 30mph

Just recently, I started hearing a squeek whenever I turned left with the windows down, then it gradually got louder and I can hear it with my windows up now. It also just started squeeking when going over 30mph. Its coming from the front. What could this possibly be? Wheel bearings? It isnt constant either. Sometimes it will do it, other times it wont. Also getting a hum/howl when coming to a stop. I never have paid attention to it before and thought it was normal, but my friend got in my car and was asking what that noise was, i hear what hes talking about but i guess I just got used to it. Its done that sense ive owned it.

Last edited by vortec bowtie; 02-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Beginning Member
stanitis is on a distinguished road

Jack up the front of the truck & shake the wheel by grabbing 12 & 6 o'clock & 3 & 9. If it is wiggling (has play, especially in the up & down) you could have a number of front end parts worn out but, if you have someone do it for you you can look at the source of the play from beneath & behind. Behind the wheel if you see play/slop around the hub bearing, well here's your sign! lol
Also if it is four wheel drive, you can put all 4 corners up in air & put it in drive, look & listen there @ the wheel. 1st try spinning by hand, if a hub bearing is bad enough, it will scream, "it's me it's me". Good luck, hope it helps. If needed, then go with a brand name like Timken, they will last!
BTW, you didn't mention where the howl is coming from. If it's from the same area then it sound like a bearing issue even more. From the rear, start looking for rear end leakage & if present, check the gear lube level & go from there. Good luck.

Last edited by stanitis; 02-14-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road

well I pulled off my front tires in auto the other day, and noticed the dust protector or whatever its called was bent in and rubbing on the rotor. I bent it back out, and sense then I havent noticed anymore squeeks.