Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering Knuckle Striped Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member
Curt8153 is on a distinguished road

Hey y'all first post here, didn't know this forum was on the net. I have a 1996 Blazer that i replaced the front brake pads on and i realized i've been driving around with one caliber bolt striped out. So in other words the driver side only has one bolt holding the brake caliber to the steering knuckle. What i am asking can the steering knuckles be re-tapped. I called Muffler Brothers here today and they said they wouldn't advise it. I'm thinking about just having the whole front suspension rebuilt since i know my Blazer still has many years left on it. Oh by the way I have over 138,000 miles on her. I'm going to take her and have an estimate Monday. From what the guy said on the phone today with new steering knuckles all 4 ball joints shocks and idler arm and a few other things i can't think of right now it would be around 1600 or maybe more.

Would this be a known name for a steering knuckle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DORMA...Q5fAccessories

Wait a minute, is that a steering knuckle for a 4x4. Can someone please answer me here.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-05-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Beginning Member

Do i have to have 10 post before anybody will answer me on here.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

give it time and someone will reply. The steering knuckle you linked to it for 2wd. Now is the knuckle stripped or is it the caliper bracket. The caliper bolts to the bracket and the bracket bolts to the knuckle

Old 12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please take some time and read the rules of the forum and try not to be critical of those that do have the knowledge/experience to help you before they get a chance to do so.

As stated, what you linked to is for a 2wd. The OE part numbers are 15684319(L) and 15684320(R) with a price around $225 each from online retailers.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Beginning Member

It is the hole in the knuckle, on the bottom. The slide bolt goes through the floating caliper assembly and threads in the knuckle, the bottom hole has stripped out threads. It was either over torqued or cross-threaded. When I replaced the brake pads and rotors this bottom slide-bolt would not tighten. Do you think it is possible to have the hole re-tapped or have a heli-coil insert installed? It looks like the knuckle is made out of cast iron so I would assume so, but the problem I may have is finding someone who has the equipment and knowledge to do this. Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciated.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It could be heli-coiled, however, would you want to do that with something as crucial as brakes? It isn't something I would do.

Have you called around to some local junkyards to see what they would charge for this part?

NVANZEE, IIRC, it wasn't until '97 when they changed the brake configuration to use a caliper bracket.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Beginning Member

Well right now it's just being held by the top bolt. The bottom bolt is just finger tight with a ton of red lock tight around it. I just hope i never have to hit the brakes hard. So far it stops find but i can hear a sweaking sound when i first hit the brake pedel. I know it's dangerous but i have no choice, i have to get to work. I'm wondering if i can run a long bolt streight thru and put a lock washer and a nut on the end where it goes thru the steering knuckle.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:40 PM
supersport_s10 is on a distinguished road
Default First post.

So this is my first post on the forum, and I wanted to ask what you ended up doing to take care of the problem. Mine is having the same exact problem, I was just at school and noticed it on mine. None of the local parts stores carry the knuckles/spindles according to their websites. So what did you do? I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by supersport_s10
So this is my first post on the forum, and I wanted to ask what you ended up doing to take care of the problem. Mine is having the same exact problem, I was just at school and noticed it on mine. None of the local parts stores carry the knuckles/spindles according to their websites. So what did you do? I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!
Nothing yet. I was told by a couple shops around here that you could run a smaller bolt all the way thru and put a nut on it. Best place to get a steering knuckle would be the junk yard, or e-bay.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Just go to advance auto parts and get a over sized brake caliper bolt if thats the bolt your talking about .

Quick Reply: Steering Knuckle Striped Out