Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Steering problems 1998 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
ketetomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steering problems 1998 4x4

Howdy, my 1998 4x4 blazer is having a lot of play when steering, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right. I Took it to mechanic for an estimate and said that the problem is worn suspension parts (pitman and idler arm). Took it to alignment shop for a second opinion and they told me that the problem is the gear box. How to know which of those diagnosis is correct? How difficult would be toreplace those parts if needed? Any special tools for that?
Thanks

Old 08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Default RE: Steering problems 1998 4x4

My blazer is still waiting for the correct diagnosis...

Old 08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do we get anything if we correctly diagnose your problem??? Anyway, without looking at it, I can't tell you what is wrong... And it's not like you've given us a lot of information to go on.

The pitman arm is connected to the steering gear box via a splined shaft. It is somewhat common to have the pitman arm loosen up on the splined shaft. If left unrepaired, it could damage the shaft requiring more extensive and expensive repairs.

The idler arm is on the passenger side of the steering linkage. This is relatively easy to check and it should be tight both at the steering linkage and where it meets the frame (ie. no slop).

Maybe try getting under your vehicle and seeing where things are loose...? Have someone turn the wheel while you are under there and see what components have play... You may have to pull off the front air deflector to get a good look at things.

On tools. Well, having the proper tools does help. If the pitman arm is on there good, a pitman arm puller will make the job a TON easier. A pickle fork will make getting the pitman and idler arms free of the steering linkage. If you are replacing one, I'd replace them both as an alignment is required and the idler arm isn't all that $$$.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Swartlkk, you will get my gratitude, appreciation and respect even if it is not quite correct the diagnosis! Thanks for answering. I already took it to alignment and it improved however, I still feel some play when steering. I will look for loose suspension parts as you suggested and tight them if needed and see if that solves the problem.