Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 AM
aced411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strange noise

Hi,
From a stop if I turn a corner at a high rate of acceleration there is usually a mild popping sound coming from underneath (I think in the front half). If I don't take off to fast it doesn't happen. Remember this is only when I turn sharply while accelerating from a stop. It's muffled and I can feel it more than I can hear it. Just wondering if this is something I should be concerned with. Does something need to be tightened? Bearings?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
notmyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Strange noise

the only popping sound I'm familiar with is CV joints. Try to find a cul-de-sac or something, and then crank it left and go, then turn right and go around again.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM

I can try that. Is that supposed to remedy the problem or isolate it?

Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Starting Member
Mbastet99 is an unknown quantity at this point

That would only isolate it, whether both sides are doing it or only one....Only remedy would be replacement.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
nemesis_SS is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea ive got the same problem, i thought my shocks were gone and the lower control arm was smashing the upper one. I put some grease on the the lower and checked it after hearing the sound, and it had smeared onto the top (indicating they touched). Someone else told me that they normallytouch sometimes, and that the shocks may not be the problem.

Also, it is only the left side which does it. Clunks and popslike crazy on a quick left. So maybe it is the CV joint, but still could be shocks or even torsion bar?

-91 blazer 4wd (no springs)

Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 PM

So far I've only noticed it on right turns. I even tried the coldasac(sp?).

Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

It could also be Ujoints on your driveshafts possibly, mine started making noises like that and then vibrating at higher straighton speeds. I had no idea what it was till i took it to the shop. I'd suggest finding a good shop that wont screw you and see what they think. just my opinion.

-Lenny

Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Is it a constant popping kinda noise, or does it only do it when you first start moving or go over bumps?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
bigbill23 is an unknown quantity at this point

ball joints can make a popping sound

Old 07-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Bumps don't effect it and it's not constant by any means. It's only occasional say a couple times at the most during short city drive and only during sharp turns. I just got a new set of tires (BFG AT KO) and for some reason the noise drastically reduced to the point where I only heard it once in over an hour of in city driving and it was very faint. I used to be able to make it do it most of the time by gunning it and taking a sharp right, but now it won't do it. Loose lug nuts? I know wishful thinking

Quick Reply: Strange noise