Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Strange rattle

Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member
BlakWidow is on a distinguished road
Default Strange rattle

I have a rattle in my left front tire area that I cannot figure out. I have replace the hubs and ball joints recently on the left and right as well as shocks and rotors. I took the tire off to check for anything loose, found nothing. The rattle occurs when I hit any kind of bump and does not happen at all when I hold the brake pedal slightly. Also doesn't make this rattle in reverse. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be? I have a 99 blazer LT 4wd. It's also lowered front and rear if that helps

Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Starting Member
Wisco Blazer will become famous soon enough

I would lift up the front end of the ground and check for pitman and/or idler arm play, if your steering is a little loose this could be another sign leading to it.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

It could actually be your hood hinges. There is a TSB about needing to replace the washers for cone shaped ones. Open your hood and shake it from side to side at the hinge to see if its clunking, or some people say stuff a shirt or rag at the hinge to see if it goes away. If it does, then you need the conical washers. It fixed my strange clunk.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

It could be the bushings on your stabilizer bar. If it is the same problem I had, you can diagnose by raising both front wheels off the ground (jacks need to be placed under the frame), then you can grab the stabilizer bar with your hand and shake it. I could hear the same sound I would hear while driving over bumps.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys! I will check all these things out and see if any of these are my issue.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlakWidow
I have a rattle in my left front tire area that I cannot figure out. I have replace the hubs and ball joints recently on the left and right as well as shocks and rotors. I took the tire off to check for anything loose, found nothing. The rattle occurs when I hit any kind of bump and does not happen at all when I hold the brake pedal slightly. Also doesn't make this rattle in reverse. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be? I have a 99 blazer LT 4wd. It's also lowered front and rear if that helps
What about brake parts?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
It could actually be your hood hinges. There is a TSB about needing to replace the washers for cone shaped ones. Open your hood and shake it from side to side at the hinge to see if its clunking, or some people say stuff a shirt or rag at the hinge to see if it goes away. If it does, then you need the conical washers. It fixed my strange clunk.
what he said!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

caliper bushings, nuff said. If it stops when you push the brake pedal slightly, its stabilizing itself on the rotor, causing the rattle to stop. I would start there.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

After checking everything that you guys have mentioned, the only thing I could find play in was the caliper. Didnt notice last time I looked at it. Just checked the bolts. I have some new bushings ordered and will let you guys know if that fixes the issue when they come in and I have time to put them in.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Good luck, be sure to post your results!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange rattle