Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Suspension or brakes makes clanking sound??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member
blazindude is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension or brakes makes clanking sound??

I got a 2001 xtreme and replaced the shocks a couple weeks ago. Right around that time noticed a clanking sound when i hit just little bumps. It is mainly just little cracks in the road or anything that may just barely make uneven ground. Checked suspension and steering components on the front end and nothing seems missing or broken.

I just noticed today that it goes away when I apply the brakes, so I guess leads me to think it's in the brakes. I took the wheel off and nothing seems loose, all nuts and bolts are tight. I also noticed when I apply the brakes, I can feel/hear on the same wheel, what seems like a slight bump. Like there is a gap between the piston in the caliper and the brake pad, or between the pad and rotor?

Any mercy and help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm in college full time, so time and money is short and i try and do any work myself.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

I'd also like to know what the problem is, I have the same thing with my blazer, just never thought to start a thread.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Check the caliper bushings/ slides. I had this problem on my blazer, it drove me insane, I got the caliper bushing kit, and it solved the problem. the reason why it stops when you apply your brakes is because they are grabbing onto something, so they cant rattle around.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the input. I'll definitely give that a try this weekend. Let ya know how it goes

Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM
2000jimmbo4x4 is on a distinguished road

seeing as yours is a 2nd generation, most likely you lost some of the brake pad clips that keep the pads tight in place in the arbor. these are lovingly refered to as anti rattle clips. some of mine were missing and i had the same problem. just got done doing a 4 wheel brake service including all lines hoses and caipers. no more noise! i think the clips cost lik 5 bucks for a bag of 8.... hope this helps!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 2000jimmbo4x4
seeing as yours is a 2nd generation, most likely you lost some of the brake pad clips that keep the pads tight in place in the arbor. these are lovingly refered to as anti rattle clips. some of mine were missing and i had the same problem. just got done doing a 4 wheel brake service including all lines hoses and caipers. no more noise! i think the clips cost lik 5 bucks for a bag of 8.... hope this helps!
2nd gens also have the brake caliper bushings, so it really could be one or the other, both about the same price

Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member

k, so i got the new bushings and clips. Only problem is i'm having a heck of a time getting the old ones out...whick makes me wonder if that's really it?? Anyway, figured I'd replace since I have it dissambled. Once I have the boot part out, how do I remove the rubber bushing inside the mount? They fit inside and the end of the caliper pin is what slides in and out of that. Do I just try and get something in there and try to grab it? Will it fall out with a few hammer taps to the backside?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran

it should just pull out, it might be tough due to the age of them. tapping it with a hammer would help too, try a bit of penetrating oil as well, once it moves to that part it should slide right out.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Beginning Member

wow guys! That was definitely it! Thanks so much. Now my car doesn't sound like it's going to fall apart while driving, lol. I got those bushings out once i stopped babying it, lol. Bushing and clips came together in a kit and it was around $20. Again, much appreciated.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran

Glad it worked out! Yeah. its an extremely irritating noise, I chased mine down for quite some time as well, and as i was having a sober ride home from somewhere, i was like "wait, it does not do it when i hit the brakes" so i took them apart and found that was the problem