Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Swapping G80 for open axel with locker

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough
Smile Swapping G80 for open axel with locker

So I have done a ton of research and this is what I came up with please anyone and everyone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a GT4/G80 rear axle in my truck right now and the G80 does not work. I don't have any wierd sounds besides when reversing there is an occasional hesitation that does not seem to be from the trans. I know the G80 isn't working because I have tested it on numerous occasions on wet grass, gravel, and mud and it acts as if it has an open diff.

Through my reading on this forum and a few other google searches I have learned this:

1. It is possible to rebuild the G80 (but a pain in the a** and not worth it in my opinion)

2. You can buy a open carrier to replace the G80 and then install a Powertrax or similar locker. (This is also a pain in the a** because of the need to set gear lashing and a few other small but important tolerances)

3. You can find a different axle with an open carrier from the factory and do a complete axle swap and then install the Powertrax or similar locker. (To me this actually seems like the easiest way to accomplish what I want)

I would like to keep the gearing the same as to not have to mess with the front end at all.

I'm not concerned about uprading to disc brakes or anything like that.

I understand that it must be out of a 4x4 due to the difference in width of a 4x2

So I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that if I go to a junk yard or the internet sources and find a new axle what I need is a:

GT4/GQ1 open diff axle

If someone could please tell me if I am correct or if not what the best and easiest way to accomplish a new rear locker that would be great

Old 05-28-2012, 02:55 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Ok ill blow the dust off this thread because im looking to do the same thing now.

I think im just going to swap out my rear for a 98+ with disk brakes and a open carrier. Its been a while since ive seen rear end swap threads so i just decided start this one again. So if i gathered everything right from my research, all i need with the new rear end is the same gear ratio? and the different brake lines if i get the disk brakes.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 05-28-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Yep. The axle bolts right up, you may need to get hard brake lines to match the new axle if they are different, and if you go from drum to disc brakes you will need new park brake cables. My brother and I did his in 30 minutes. I did mine by myself in about an hour. Its a pretty easy swap.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 05-28-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

If they are still intact can i just take the cable from the blazer that i get the axle from? Then i just gotta figure out how to tell if its a 8.5" or a 7.625"

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You should be able to take the park brake cable from the donor vehicle. If its not a ZR2 it should be a the smaller rear end. Wasn't it just the ZR2's that got the 8.5" or 8.6" rears?

Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM

I guess some regular Blazers came with the 8.5 but it wasnt very common.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are other threads that weigh the pros/cons of 'lunch-box' lockers. About the pros for them IMO are the cost & ease of install if you already have an open diff. If you have a G80 and are going to go through the time to install a new carrier, just get a locking differential, not an open carrier and a drop in locker. They aren't on the same level as far as strength.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Yeah i have been looking through all the threads that i could find and basically what i found is that its not fun to swap out the carrier and i dont know that i would really trust myself to do it properly. And ive always wanted rear disk brakes (i know they dont make a big difference but still) and i have to redo my leaf pack so i figured might as well do it all at once. And anything more than a lunch box locker would be overkill for my intentions. Although something like an air locker would be pretty cool

And when i posted in here i was really tired and it was the first thread that came up when i was looking so i decided to post in it before looking at all the rest..

Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

if i remember, lock rite has a locker that is made for the g80 option so you wont have to swap axles and have the extra work, just remove all the guts
from the g80 and install the lock rite

Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 PM

yeah i found a thread on here about that and Kyle said that it was for the G80 carrier but that was back in 2009 so idk if thats still true

Quick Reply: Swapping G80 for open axel with locker