Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

sways on highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 PM
blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sways on highway

i have a 1999 blazer 4 door 4x4 when i get up to highway speed it is all over the road. I bought 2 new tires for the back and the tires on the front are somewhat worn. I tried to get an alignment when i got the new tires and they could go through with the alignment because the pitman arm had to much play. Could the pitman arm having to much play or the new tires in the back and not in the front cause this.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: sways on highway

A worn pitman arm would definitely cause it to wander around. The pitman arm is what connects the steering gearbox and thereby the steering wheel to the steering linkage and then to the wheels. If there is play in the pitman arm, then that is definitely a large source of the problem. You will want to check for play in the other components in the steering (tie rod ends and idler arm).

Old 12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Also, newer tires are generally better served on the front, lol.

But Kyle's got it right...

Old 12-22-2007, 05:17 PM
IndyZman is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

A worn pitman arm would definitely cause it to wander around. The pitman arm is what connects the steering gearbox and thereby the steering wheel to the steering linkage and then to the wheels. If there is play in the pitman arm, then that is definitely a large source of the problem. You will want to check for play in the other components in the steering (tie rod ends and idler arm).
My 98 4WD 2Dr Blazertends to stray over the road... any road, were not for seemingly extra steering efforts; but on highways it seems more pronounced, i guess do to all the other traffic in adjoining lanes (requiring that my Blazer keeps preciselyto it's own lane). Isolating a resolution to the problem(s) for me is compounded by the fact that I have 2 different brand tires on the front. One is a Goodyear Wrangler RTS M+S P235/75 R15 (that's max. of 44psi), the other a Kelley Safari SJR M+S P235/75 R15 (that's max. of 35psi).Both rear tires are alsoKelly Safari SJR M+S P235/75 R15. All tires seem to have between 5000 to 10000miles.I guess to began at home with my own (pre-serviceshop) inspection i would need to determine the health of my Blazer's idler arm & other steering components, examining for hint(s) of loosness, right? I;d prefer to know before-hand which items needed replaced before i let a service tech dictate a grocery list of un-needed replacements and repairs.

I have a '98 Blazer 2DR 4wd, 4spd Auto, that i just puchased 2 weeks ago

question:
Do you check the steering components while Blazer is on jackstands?
If so what is the points under the Blazer/ Blazer frame for best jackstand placement?
Can the idler arm & other steering components be checked while Blazer is on the ground?
Can brakes on one corner or side continue to gripp a little after brake pedal is released, causing more effort to be used in order to drive vehicle straight. Shouldn't i be able to just jack-up each tire and give them a spin to check for resistance between pads and discs or would the tire be hard to spin test do to the front axle assembly(s)?

Or should i direct my attention first to chucking one or all of the tires since i don't knowtheyre history or to any certainty that they are without abuse and starting new with tires having suposedly no damage, plus the added benefit of having 4 of a kind on. ps. I do understand that all tires sould be exact when driving the Blazer on dry surfaces while it's 4WD is engaged.

Is it normal for the 2dr Blazer to exhibit a floating sensation @ 60 mph+ over the free-way, or is that a sign of problems? Or just being a light vehicle, or larger than OEM tire size.
My Blazer seems to float and neerly is overwhelmed by passing Semi trucks. I sold 4WD Isuzu Rodeos and the smaller 2dr Amigos in '98 +'99 and the 2 dr Amigos tires seemed too ballonish for the size of vehicle and at hi-way speeds it was downright scary, seemed to bounce at the slightest bump orchange in road surface.
thanks,
Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/8962/6BC7D355517848CE8A0B2EEBFA2B8555.jpg[/IMG]