Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Terrible banging/clanging noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member
Markolc is on a distinguished road
Default Terrible banging/clanging noise

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts. I generally do a ton of reading on these forums, get great ideas and solve my problems, but this time Im stumped and need some help.

So my 2000 4x4 blazer makes a terrible banging/clanging noise, a little louder when turning left. (Three years ago I replaced both hub bearings) Now I'm thing CV shafts. I jacked the car up about two weeks ago, saw that the passenger side CV boot was split closest to the Wheel side (the driver side looked OK). While jacked up, I rotated the passenger wheel and sure enough there was some banging/clanging, while on the driver side there was not. I thought I figured out the problem. Fast forward to today, I replaced the Passenger side CV joint, the old one was definately shot, reassemble it all, rotate the wheel, and all sounds good while in the air!. Took it for a drive, and nothings changed, still horrible loud banging/clang.

The 4-wheel drive does engage and disengage like normal (3 button switch on dash), but really, I am stumped. The noise sounds like its coming from the front, middle of the car (transfer case maybe?) Any suggestions?

Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member
Markolc is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll update my own post. It turned out the drivers side wheel bearing/hub went bad again. That's what I get for buying cheap Ebay.

I'm now in the process of replacing pretty much the whole front steering/suspension setup. The car wanders all over the road and has a heck of a wobble once in a while at highway speeds that would scare the crap outta you. This car is not my daily driver, but my wife never told me anything was wrong with it till I had to "borrow" it one day and found out for myself. New ball joints, Upper control arms, shocks, tie rods, idler arm, sway bar end links, and shocks. The only things that look OK and gives no play are the pitman arm and lower control arms. Everything else is either visually bad (rotted out bushings) or has tons of play when I jerk the wheels in any direction while the truck is on stands.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Starting Member
cdtek101 is on a distinguished road

may want to look into a new pitman anyway since doing the rest and the steering gear box would be a idea to change if you can.....I'm pretty much doing same thing..I want mine to drive like new again....Best of luck