Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Tires lock up when turning in drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
JustinDesrochers is on a distinguished road

K so i was just driving straight in 2wd and for some reason my truck tires locked up and then let go and started making a grinding/howling noise. I pulled over and looked under the truck and oil had shot out of the gasket for some reason but they might be two different problems because i just found out that the oil was filled up too much then i went out for a drive to test it out and it does teh same thing in 2wd as 4wd, no difference between them, In reverse you can turn the wheel as much as you want and it doesnt lock up but in forward the tires lock up when you turn the wheel but not if your driving straight and when they lock up you have to put it in reverse and back up a foot or two the go forward again to move

any info will help, my parents get home by the end of this weekend from a trip and it broke for no reason at all and i need it fix by the time they get home

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-21-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
jck1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you may have a broken spider gear in the rear differential. You will have to remove the rear cover to check it out. What gasket was oil leaking from?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member

but its the front tires that lock up? and the oil was leaking from the oil filter i meant.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You sure this just happened out of the blue and that you weren't pounding on it while the folks were away?

Take a look at the CV axles, only thing that comes to mind from what you've described.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
You sure this just happened out of the blue and that you weren't pounding on it while the folks were away?

Take a look at the CV axles, only thing that comes to mind from what you've described.
x2. lol. may as welll check out the hubs too.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could you tell us where the oil was coming from?

I'd agree with everyone else. This didn't just happen because you were super sweet to it while the 'rents were away.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Last time i had that happen it was from offroading a 83 with torn rubber boots. Cv joint got clogged ful of mud and gave me the same symptom. Jack the truck up turn the wheels amd spin them individually and see which one and what is causing the problem

Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Could you tell us where the oil was coming from?

I'd agree with everyone else. This didn't just happen because you were super sweet to it while the 'rents were away.

"but its the front tires that lock up? and the oil was leaking from the oil filter i meant."

Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I meant more exact. Is he sure that it was coming from the oil filter or could it have been from the front diff. It really does matter. Just trying to narrow it down. More than you have done though.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member

ok well you can stop with the comments that i was driving like an idiot because i was driving with my uncle when it happened and it was the first couple hours that my parents had left, it was just unlucky it happened to me. And im sure it wasnt from the front diff because the diff is attached to teh transfer case at the back and the oil was all over the filter, but that could be a whole other problem. Yesturday we took off the tire and jacked it up to find out that it was the left drivers side tire was making the noise so i took off the assembly for the brakes and the rotor, then it didnt make the noise anymore, but it wouldnt make sense that its the brakes would it?

i also took off the boot for the cv joint and it wasnt dry, it had alot of grease in it.

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-06-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.

Quick Reply: Tires lock up when turning in drive?