Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

TORSION BAR Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up TORSION BAR Replacement

Anyone know the correct way to replace a worn out torsion bar? One was replaced before I bought it but the other needs it too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM
offroader8488 is on a distinguished road

you need to tool to take the pressure off your torsion key but i know how you can do it with a c clamp

Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM

I know that but there has to be more to it.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i think you need to loosen the crossmember and move it back to remove the keys and the tbars I never did it before but i watched something on youtube the guy removed the keys and freed up the bars

Edit: this might give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EprZDM24hyY

Old 10-14-2011, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

That's on a Colorado, not sure if it's the same process. Every S10/Blazer vid I've seen has talked about using the recommended tool or 3-ton jaw puller.

I've read that some have removed all the weight off the front end (hanging in the air like the video) and were able to remove them that way by loosening the bolts that hold in the keys.

I'm in the same boat, I've had some ZR2 bars for a while now and looking to install them. Not trying to lose a limb putting them in, but also not trying to spend $100 on a tool I'll use once. The jury is still out on whether a 3 ton puller is a safe enough alternative, especially since I can rent it for free.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Yea renting one is the way to go

and i said an idea haha not the way to do it

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Posting advice/videos *****-nilly without prior knowledge or experience is dangerous as the person reading it could possibly follow through with your advice and truly cause damage to their bodies or their vehicles. Please refrain from carelessly posting.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 AM

Ya I heard it'll cost an arm and leg to have a mechanic do it. Idk what the people who owned it before me did but every steering component you can think of is worn way out.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 AM
offroader8488 is on a distinguished road

I Have changed them before and all you need is a 6" c clamp with the flat end on the threaded bar removed so it is a round ball instead (can send picture by email) on the torsion key by the adjustment bolt you will see a little dimple that is where you put the round ball of the c clamp and tighten as to take the pressure off your torsion key make shore to put a paint make on the adjustment bolt before you take it out so you know how far to put it back in. after you take the bolt out back the c clamp off slowly and then take the crossmember off and the bars come out my email. is offroader8488@hotmail.com

Last edited by offroader8488; 10-15-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Sounds pretty simple, does the bar slide right out after its dropped down?

Quick Reply: TORSION BAR Replacement